Wonderful

I was holding different colored fabrics as my mom walked into my room. She looked at me as if asking, “And what might you be up to?” 

“Halloween is coming,” I said.

“Okay, but no big detailed costumes. We don't have the time because you have to help with all the chores,” My mom added. Obviously, I was going to make something big and detailed I thought, but instead, I said,

“Got it, mom!” and ran down the hallway. 

“Lila!” my mom called.

“Hold on, I'm finishing my homework!” I lied. My costume would fly. Not just fake fly but really fly like up into the air. This would prove to Jade Jones that I am the best designer. 

I bolted through the hallway in my house and before I knew it I had run into my little brother, Gabriel. I tried to move around him but he clung to my black hair. 

“Oww!” I screeched. 

“Wacha maken?” he said in his goofy voice.

“Nothing, Go along and find mom,” I said sternly.

“I will find out what you maken...soon.”  He said in a little murmur. The next day I woke up to find Gabriel sitting on what looked to be my costume! 

“Gabe!!!” I screamed. He woke up with a start.

“It’s comfy,” he said in a sleepy voice. Then he ran downstairs. I jumped out of my bed and saw my big fabric scissors on the floor. I began to pick up my costume when I realized it had been cut into a million pieces. I was devastated. I might as well just hand over the best designer award to Jade. I let out a loud sigh. I wasn’t in the mood to beat up Gabe, so I just sat there. Why was I so determined just to have a silly costume anyway? It can’t be such a big deal so why not just try to have a little hope? Why not? I just had to try. I grabbed my stitching kit. I took a needle and thread and one little piece at a time I stitched it together. Sewing one small piece of fabric. One after another. After a while I was done. It looked nothing like I had expected but that was okay. Halloween was for fun so why not have some? Just then my mom called me. What have I done wrong now? She hustled me into the car without telling me where we were going. We stopped at what looked like a clothing shop.I stared at the sliding glass doors. Inside there were people all in a bustle. What was mom doing? I couldn’t afford anything in the shop. We walked into the large room. I looked down at my red converse sneakers. I heard feet walking and people talking. The sounds echoed as we walked down the long hallway. We stopped at a wooden door. My mom motioned for me to go in. My hand grasped the cold handle. I turned it. Then it opened without a sound. Inside stood my idol, my hero. Miss. Kinsey, a world designer! She was always hopeful. She never backed out. And there she was holding the costume. My costume. The black embroidered wings and the warrior-like dress. It wasn’t so great just because of the costume. It was this moment. I had never seen something so wonderful in my life.
chelsey.hook@grcsu.org's picture
About the Author: [email protected]