THE GREAT ARTISTS CHALLENGE

[Art credit: "Hot Summer," by Wolf Kahn, cropped]

YWP ARTISTS! Each month, we'll introduce you to some of the world's greatest contemporary artists. Learn about the artists and their work, be inspired, and create your own great art! Go to the Great Artists Challenge to post your response to the artists' stories and life work – paint, draw, photograph, write a poem or an appreciation of the artist! Use any medium to express yourself. Share your art with YWP and get published in YWP publications and Vermont media. 

WOLF KAHN – We begin the series with master landscape painter Wolf Kahn, whose brilliant oils and pastels are celebrated for balancing "the sensuous qualities of color, light, and paint with a relatively stark geometry of form." (New York Times, March 24, 2020) Kahn, who was born in Germany in 1927, lived and worked in Vermont and New York City until his passing in 2020.

Art by Wolf Kahn, left to right, Hot Summer, On the Kafka Place, Ochre Barn, Blue Ridge III. 

EMILY MASON – For most of her painting life, Emily Mason, an abstract artist of intensely bold colors, gained much of her inspiration from southern Vermont, where she spent summers creating her paintings and prints alongside her husband, artist Wolf Kahn. “There’s a factor of nature that’s Vermont," she said in a Vermont Public interview that aired in 2019. "It sustains, in a beautiful way." Mason (1932-2019) grew up in a family of artists and spent many years studying and teaching art, but there was nothing preconceived about her paintings. “I’d like a painting to take me to a place I haven’t been,” she said in the documentary, Emily Mason: A Painting Experience.
Art by Emily Mason, left to right, Equal Paradise; Semaphore; Landscapes, Seascapes, Fire Escapes; Way Down Yonder

NORVAL MORRISSEAU This self-taught artist (1931-2007) is considered the grandfather of contemporary Indigenous Canadian art, an innovative visual storyteller who created the Woodland School of art. With his distinctive style and bold colors, he expressed the values of the Anishinaabe culture that his grandparents passed on to him – spiritual symbolism, the natural world, and family bonds. 
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT NORVAL MORRISSEAU
Respond by posting your own art or write an appreciation of the artist.

TIM TADDER – Tim Tadder, born in 1972, is an internationally acclaimed photographer, based in Southern California. He is known for his bold and experimental graphic images that challenge assumptions and raise awareness about social justice and environmental issues. YWP photographer laurenm is a big fan of Tadder's work and suggested featuring him in the Great Artists series. "I love everything he does," laurenm said, "But my favorite is his collection 'black is a color,' which features his experimental paint photography." (See below)
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT TIM TADDER

ZENG FANZHI – This contemporary Chinese artist, born in Wuhan, China, in 1964, is known both for his dramatic Mask series and his haunting landscape paintings. Zeng's art has received international praise for its fusion of Eastern and Western artistic traditions.

FIND OUT MORE ABOUT ZENG FANZHI

GEORGIA O'KEEFFE – Renowned for her paintings of enlarged flowers, New Mexican landscapes, and New York City skyscrapers, Georgia O'Keeffe (1887-1986) has been called the "Mother of American modernism." She urged people to look closely at the world around them, to really see, empathize, and understand. 

FIND OUT MORE ABOUT GEORGIA O'KEEFFE

Special thanks to the Wolf Kahn Foundation for sparking the idea for this project and for supporting it! This series is part of YWP's ArtSpace project.

About the Author: YWP
Hey YWP! You're at Young Writers Project headquarters! Want to get in touch? Just message Executive Director Susan Reid here!