A Nine-Year Journey

For nine years, I've been a part of YWP and for nine years, I've felt seen by this community. Even as I've grown up, I've watched new young writers come and share their thoughts, emotions, and stories. At first, YWP was a way for me to express my own young thoughts, but now it's become a way for me to remember what it was like to be a young teenager and to see what it is like for the younger generation to grow up in these times. To be honest, it's heartbreaking. Writing has become so much of an escape for me, but it is also a way for me to process the real world. I see the escapism in some of the young writer's posts -the fear and anger derived from living in a world that is changing for the worst- and I can't help but relate. I've expressed only a fraction of the sorrows and hardships I've had to endure and witness throughout my adolescence in writing. Sometimes, there are no words. Sometimes, I just want to scream and cry and curse at the politicians, the media, the cops who hurt people, the people who don't want to let others live because of their gender identity or ethnicity, and everyone that makes this world feel uninhabitable. Four years ago, a small handful of police officers saved my life. They gained my trust and respect, but only because they had no malicious intent. They were good people, but the system they were working for is corrupt. 

For nine years, I shared my heart with a community that embraced it. During those years, I lost my best friend, I lost my dog, I began speaking about the abuse I endured, and experienced trauma and heartache, and I suffered from depression and PTSD. While I'm still working on my mental health, I found solace in writing. Even if no one would ever read it, I wrote to my heart's content. I am now 21 years old and I no longer live in Vermont, but I still come back to YWP from time to time to read the new work of a new generation. It's crazy to think that nine years ago, I was just a 12-year-old girl in middle school who just liked to write and draw in her journal. Now, I'm a young adult living in the city with my partner, I've graduated high school and finished three years of university, I've become much better at drawing and writing, and I'm doing much better mentally than I have in a long time. 

For nine years, I have grown to appreciate my art. I didn't think I could make a difference through writing, yet here I am. Needless to say, I know that the young teenage writers here can do the same. You might not think that your voice matters that much, but one voice can spark an entire movement. The world is constantly changing, it always has been, and it always will, but most changes don't just happen by themselves. Through writing, I've allowed myself to explore my own identity and dive deep into real-world problems. My advice to new young writers is to keep writing, keep expressing yourselves, and take your time. There's no rush to grow up, no matter how pressuring life can be. It's okay to be angry about everything going on in the world, I am too, so don't be afraid to write and share your thoughts. This community will likely push your voice even further and you will be heard.

I have much love for YWP and I will continue to help lift up young writers so they are never ignored.

Your old friend and community member,
Dominik :)

Rovva

QC

More by Rovva

• Beaming writer

In sixth grade, our class had a show-and-tell every week,
    and every week, a small handful of students were selected to participate in the next one.
    As I was selected, anxiety kicked in.
    I wasn't really proud of anything.
  • Love And Embalming

They carried you away in a black hearse.
    Our black eyes,
    beaten and bruised by love,
    caressed your black coffin.
    They opened your casket and there you were,
    your eyes closed,
    relaxed and so cold,
    and yet you seemed so alive.