touch

(so background info this story is where the perspective changes every time they touch another human like if I gave someone a high five then it would switch view to whoever I touched)
Ah man this shift is killing me a man said outside a 7/11 

Why did jake say he couldn’t do his shift today the man said

Like he could've told me in advance now I have to stay here till 6 in the morning

God f**king dammit the man pulls out a box of cigarettes takes one out and lights it

And takes one big puff

Ahh and then there's a noise of bells which is on the door to the seven eleven 

God dammit the man drops his cigarette and stomps it

He walks into the seven-eleven through the back door

He walks into the storage room full of boxes full of chips, soda, and alcohol

The floor tiles where dirt and smudge have combined with each 

The man thinks I'm gonna quit I'm gonna quit then he walks through a doorway that leads to a cash register

The cashier says hello but he got no response back

A couple of seconds later a woman in her early twenties with long brunette hair with a black shirt and jeans and enough makeup it looks like she's wearing a mask puts a small bag of chips and a soda while hiding a bottle of beer in her bag 

The cashier rings up the items and says that all? With an obviously fake smile

The woman says ill also get a loon(type of vape stick thing) 

The man asks to see her I’d and the woman sighs as she goes through this every day

She takes it out and gives it to the cashier accidentally touching his hand
Chapter 2
Oops i accidentally touched his hands that's awkward the woman thought

She looks at his name tag and finds out his name is greg

Greg looks at the i’d and back up at her and says your good to go and hands her back her driving liscence 

When she takes it back it says “Klara J. Brunk born in August 17th 1998”

Then Greg says “how would you like to pay cash or card” with the same fake smile

She says card and takes out her credit card passing the four 20 dollar bills and the cashier gives a sour face

She swipes the card and a loud high pitched beep 

Greg says” sorry it declined with a shit-eating grin

Klara scoffs

Pulls out a single 20-dollar bill and hands it to the cashier 

He presses a button on the cash register and it makes a clicking noise like an old fashioned typewriter 

The cashier says your change is $1.74

Klara asks if he can round it up to 75 cents  

The cashier says no can do and chuckles

Klara thinks in his head “this guy is a cunt”

Then Greg hands her the change and says have a good day

And Klara says nothing, takes her change and leaves

And as she walks out she sees this old homeless man with dirty slightly ripped clothes a bald head with 5 long silver hairs hanging down with a big smile that shows his yellow teeth and sees that one of his big teeth missing and she accidentally bumps the homeless man who was walking in
Chapter 3
Sorry says the old man

Klara says its fine while taking out a napkin to wipe the part she bumped

The homeless man thinks shes probably a germophobe and walks in with a smile

When Greg sees this old man walk in he gets a big smile a true one unlike the one he shows customers

Greg says in a chippy voice “oscar”

The old man says “you know i don't like that nickname”

Greg says “i know, i know, but you know Charles Augustus the 3rd is too tacky

So to change the conversation greg says “so you got a lot of donations today?

But in a happy voice and with a big smile “No!” 

Greg puts his hand on his forehead with a big smile “why do you have so much happiness when you live on the streets” with a little chuckle at the end

Oscar says “you know why 

And greg says “just being alive isn’t worth your amount of happiness and charisma” with a little tear rolling down his cheek

Oscar says “but it is, as long as i can give others smiles then they smile which makes me smile“

Greg says”thats one viscous cycle” with a louder chuckle than the last

Oscar and greg talk for the next 15 minutes about life and then oscar says “hey do you still have a tip jar” to greg

He says “yeah let me grab it”

Greg bends over under the desk and grabs a tip jar and puts it on the counter

The tip jar was obviously a trail mix box with a very obvious area where there should have been a sticker is a piece of journal paper that says tip

Oscar rummages through his pockets and pulls out a handful of nickels, dimes and a couple crumpled up dollars and puts it all in that jar with such a big smile that you see that one of his big teeth are missing

Greg looks sorrowful and says in a sad tone “oscar i cant take this this is probably everything you got today

Oscar shows that same big smile and show him a penny and says “i still have something so you dont have to worry about it

And leaves the store quickly with a big smile like a child and runs as quickly as he can

And he runs onto a sidewalk and sees a fence and hides behind it and then he sees greg walk out holding the tip jar and he looks left and right  turns around slowly and walks back in

chace

More by chace

• Taoism

Taoism 

Where one seeks enlightenment by shutting off their emotions 

But how will that lead to enlightenment 

• words

Words 

They hold power

Like a gun 

But it’s our voices that give them power

Words are an unloaded gun

And our voices are the bullets 

• Hardships

Hardships

It’s a path to salvation 

And to demise 

If you rise or fall

Is up to you 

Will you always be stuck in this swamp