The Great Oppressor

My fellow Americans, 

In months and years past, we have witnessed the most horrific incidents that no heart can endure and no ear can bear to hear. 

I speak of the Buffalo Shooting that occurred on May 14th, 2022. 

I speak of the California Church Shooting at Geneva Presbyterian Church on May 17th, 2022.

I also speak of the Texas Robb Elementary School Shooting in Uvalde, Texas, on May 24th, 2022. 

I speak for those unwilling to speak out against the great oppressor or thus denied the power or chance to speak. 

I speak for all the tragic events of gun violence our nation has witnessed. 

Friends, these incidents share one commonality: a deadly animosity that is spiritual blindness. This blindness is tenfold deadlier than pride or lust. Because of this blindness, we fail to see our shared spirit of brother and sisterhood. Do we not possess the same incarnadine blood? Does morality not define our essence? Is our shared religion not love? If so, why do you preach hate? Today, the false preacher preaches animosity against one group; tomorrow, they preach it against all. Today, the great oppressor preaches violence; tomorrow, there will be victims of bloodshed. 

Unjustified avarice only comes from the worst spiritual blindness—both the oppressor and the oppressed get hurt. The great oppressor harms the oppressed, but they also harm themselves along the way. My friends, they have dug themselves a rabbit hole of serfdom to which they submit themselves daily, only becoming ever more misled by their self-hatred… 

Is it considered America the “free” and the “brave” when one is afraid to leave one’s doors for fear of attack by the great oppressor? Is America the “land of opportunity” when people fear pursuing their unalienable rights to education and work because they are afraid they will be looted, drugged, shot, or even beaten to death? Is this the type of country we envision? 

“That they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights: that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness…” The Declaration of Independence, 1776. If we have a right to pursue happiness, why do people trample over others, silencing them because of ethnic bias or otherwise? Is that happiness in America? What would Jefferson or our Fathers think if they were alive today? 

I propose we recognize our common enemy—spiritual blindness—to break down the dichotomy within our torn nation. Let all Americans of all nationalities and origins hold hands with one giant heart that bleeds for our plight of spiritual blindness. Let them all proclaim: “Thou shalt not triumph over me, for I shall over you, for I am Love, the spiritual light in the darkest corners of our nation—the most powerful force in the Universe.” 

Yet, the great oppressor asks me, “Is it not obvious that they look, act, think, and behave differently?” Well, I digress, and let every lover of peace, unity, and freedom digress further—your spiritual blindness ruins you. Is that why you must subjugate the oppressed to years, decades, or even centuries of abuse? Must differences be viewed as a vice and not a virtue? It is humanity’s flaw that they should indulge in acts leading to spiritual blindness as they drive further away from enlightenment. Why—you are oppressed as well—yet must you continually oppress the same beautiful souls that share the very fabric of your essence? 

Indeed, if spiritual blindness is the root of our disease, we must hack the tree for it to fall. To heal the oppressed, we must fix the oppressor first. I believe this is the overarching goal our shared humanity demands, or else we will have an America facing even greater division… Is that what we want? 

No—never. 

My fellow Americans, we must join hands with one another. This way, we will confront all the oppressors. I am obliged—no, we are obligated—to join hands with the supermarket goers in Buffalo, New York to the church-goers in Laguna Beach, California to the students in Uvalde, Texas, and the many others who’ve suffered in the past and will most definitely suffer in the future if we do not take action.

We are powerless when divided but infinitely stronger when United…

Eric

NY