My Empty Mind and Place

In all of my known world, I would venture to the high deserts spanning the western United States. For me, to truly escape is not only to escape one's setting, but to escape all burdens. Deep within the high deserts, hundreds of miles away from the bustling streets flowing with strangers, I am tranquilized by the aromas of sagebrush carried by the wind. A roaring reservoir of advertisements that staggers the eye is replaced by an empty horizon brilliant with hues of red and orange. Towering buildings are dwarfed by the colossal pinnacles and plateaus that line the landscape. In the high desert, there are no predators that roam the grids of civilization, rather, there are apex predators such as cougars who tackle and dismantle the human body bite by bite without hesitation. It's truly nothing personal. One hundred and fifty pound cats require a sufficient food source like any other living organism. Besides the supersized house cats, the high desert is virtually empty with nothing but low growing cactus, an occasional tumbleweed, and scrub trees scattered throughout the landscape. Moreover, the auditory aspect of the desert is vacant of overwhelming sensory details. Noise pollution produced by angry drivers, speakers, Jake Brakes, and endless chatter vanishes along with all my worries that are notorious for devastating a healthy emotional and mental state. 

From time to time, a powerful thunderstorm sweeps the scorching sands and ejects crackling bolts of plasma that turn the ground to glass. Despite the lightning, the thunderstorms provide rain, an ingredient essential to life in the desert. When the storms calm, the desert reveals all lifeforms that live off of the saturated earth. Thunderstorms leave the atmosphere refreshed. They amplify the smell of sagebrush and leave behind small streams that carry sediments and my imagination elsewhere to other parts of the globe. When a wrathful yet gift-bearing thunderstorm has faded, simply observing the calm yet hazardous nature of the desert is a reward in itself.

jjones

More by jjones

• By jjones

Seven Disturbances

Much soap on my face
    It’s these times when time doesn't fly
    When it stings my eyes

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!
    You manage to save my life
    But not my damn ears

The grass grows too fast
    At least it can never last
  • My Final Day On Earth

If the entire world population was being transferred to a space colony I would choose one of two new lifes. My first choice would be to stay on Earth with family and friends that would be willing to live with me.
  • The abstract concept of Entities

While some may say that extraterrestrial entities simply do not exist, others are very much convinced that they do indeed exist such as I. One may come to a conclusion based entirely off of where their information proceeds from.