The Diner

I walked into the nearly empty diner and was hit by the strong smell of decay. The smell is dreadful, I have to pinch my nose so I don't hurl on the cheap tile floor. I continue stepping in and look around. It's a classic 80's diner, there are rows of booths and tables all around. The counter has stools and the menu on display behind it. The colors are bright, even without all the lights on. Although this place has been out of business for over a year, it's immaculate. I would almost say it's welcoming and cozy, if it weren't for the rotting smell that plagues the air.

Looking around, nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. The police station has been getting calls about this place for about a week now but we haven't found anything. They stopped sending officers after the 3rd call. The reason I'm here now is because we got a call from a lady saying she heard people in the diner from her car across the street, and said she thought someone was getting hurt. Before, the calls were only about people complaining about the smell-and for good reason. But this seemed like a more pressing case so that's why I'm here.

I step further into the abandoned diner and hear the door creak behind me. Then it shuts. 

Madeleine Richardson

More by Madeleine Richardson