Voices For Change
Voices for Change is a social justice initiative led by a core group of YWP writers, including Narges Anzali (photo above in Burlington, VT). This youth-led program builds leadership, collaboration and audiences for young people to advocate for positive change. Through writing and art, spoken word and publication, Voices for Change helps youth gain the skills, confidence and opportunity to express themselves and be heard on issues that matter to them -- climate change, racial and gender equity, school safety, living in a just and fair world. This project was inspired by the work and leadership of Muslim Girls Making Change, the award-winning slam poetry group who started with Young Writers Project in 2016 and who went on receive the 2018 National Education Association SuAnne Big Crow Memorial Award for promoting human and civil rights and the 2018 Ed Everts Social Justice Activist Award from Vermont's Peace & Justice Center.
ABOUT VOICES FOR CHANGE
Leadership opportunities include:
- Planning and hosting spoken word events and writing workshops
- Creating writing challenges on issues that matter to you and sending them out to the wider YWP community -- about 4,500 active users on youngwritersproject.org!
- Participating in youth and school conferences, marches, and community gatherings on social justice and climate change themes
- Advising Young Writers Project on ways to showcase young people's voices, art & culture
- Helping to raise awareness, tolerance and understanding in the YWP community and beyond
- Reaching out and collaborating with new partners - youth groups, schools, local nonprofits, other students - to share this work
Want to get started? Contact Susan Reid, YWP Executive Director, [email protected]; (802) 324-9538
WORKSHOPS AND OPEN MICS
WORKSHOPS FROM 2018-19
Check out these recent Voices for Change pieces that have been published by YWP and our media partners:
MUSLIM GIRLS MAKING CHANGE
One night, they came to a Young Writers Project open mic and performed Wake Up, America! They blew the doors off! And they were launched! YWP coached them and aided their passage to the Brave New Voices slam poetry competition in Washington, DC in the summer of 2016.
Upon their return, their reputation as a powerhouse slam poetry group grew, along with requests for performances across Vermont and the US, national media attention, and civil rights awards.
They all went off to college in the fall of 2018, but their inspiration lives on at Young Writers Project with Voices for Change!
Find out more about Muslim Girls Making Change:
SUPPORT THIS PROGRAM
THANK YOU TO OUR SUPPORTERS!
Young Writers Project is located at 47 Maple Street, Suite 216, Burlington, VT 05401