VOICES FOR CHANGE is a social justice initiative led by YWP writers and Community Leaders, including Narges Anzali and Becca Orten (above). This youth-led program builds leadership, collaboration and audiences for you to advocate for positive change through writing and art, spoken word and publication. Join us to speak out on the issues of our times -- climate change, racial and gender equality, school safety, creating a just and equitable world.
UPCOMING EVENT: Social Justice Writing Workshop and Open Mic with YWP's Narges Anzali and Becca Orten! Thursday, Oct. 24, 6-8 PM, at Burlington City Arts, 135 Church St., Burlington. It's FREE. Mark your calendar!
ABOUT VOICES FOR CHANGE
2019-20 WORKSHOPS & OPEN MIC NIGHTS
- THURSDAY, OCT. 24, 2019, 6-8 pm (Social Justice, led by YWP's Narges Anzali and Becca Orten)
- THURSDAY, FEB. 13, 2020, 6-8 pm
- THURSDAY, APRIL 22, 2020, 6-8 pm (EARTH DAY!)
THIS YEAR'S EVENTS
Climate Activism Workshop in preparation for Global Climate Strike
Led by YWP Community Leaders Hazel Civalier and Sophie Dauerman with VT Poet Lizzy Fox
- Thursday, Sept. 19 Climate Workshop at Burlington City Arts
- Friday, Sept. 20 at Global Climate Strike in Burlington
Leadership opportunities include:
- Planning and hosting spoken word events and writing workshops
- Creating writing challenges on issues that matter to you and sending them out to the wider YWP community -- about 4,500 active users on youngwritersproject.org!
- Participating in youth and school conferences, marches, and community gatherings on social justice and climate change themes
- Advising Young Writers Project on ways to showcase young people's voices, art & culture
- Helping to raise awareness, tolerance and understanding in the YWP community and beyond
- Reaching out and collaborating with new partners - youth groups, schools, local nonprofits, other students - to share this work
Want to get started? Contact Susan Reid, YWP Executive Director, [email protected]; (802) 324-9538
Check out these Voices for Change pieces that have been published by YWP and our media partners:
- We the People by Sophie Dauerman
- To All the People Who Hate Muslims by Narges Anzali
- A Modern Master of Denial by Hazel Civalier
- Hey Politicians by Becca Orten
- I Am The One They Fear by Javan Nichols
- 55 American Flags by Charlotte Hughes
- Apology to the Earth by K. Cleveland
- White Guilt by Narges Anzali
- Your Example by Casey Brewer
- The Girl with the Black Headphones by Emma Schulze
SUPPORT THE PROGRAM
THANK YOU TO OUR SUPPORTERS!
MUSLIM GIRLS MAKING CHANGE
Hawa, Lena, Balkisa and Kiran were students at two different high schools in the Burlington area, but they attended the same mosque and they shared an urgent calling to speak out about their lives as young Muslim women in a fraught, post 9/11 world. One night, they came to a Young Writers Project open mic and performed Wake Up, America! It was an incredibly powerful performance -- and they were launched!
YWP coached them and aided their passage to the Brave New Voices slam poetry competition in Washington, DC in the summer of 2016. Upon their return, their reputation as a powerhouse slam poetry group grew, along with requests for performances across Vermont and the US, national media attention, and civil rights awards. They all went off to college in 2018, but their inspiration lives on at Young Writers Project with Voices for Change!
Find out more about Muslim Girls Making Change:
SOME OF OUR PAST EVENTS
- CLIMATE CHANGE: Nov. 15, 2018 by YWP's Sophie Dauerman (sophie.d) and Hazel Civalier (Hazel.C.)
- SOCIAL JUSTICE: March 21, 2019 by YWP's Charlotte Hughes (LadyMidnight) and Becca Orten (Icestorm)
- POWER SQUARED CONFERENCE: May 1, 2019 with Narges Anzali (Nightheart), Charlotte Hughes, and Hazel Civalier
- ACTIVIST POETRY WITH ALEXANDRA CONTRERAS-MONTESANO: May-June, 2019, Alexandra (angelaweasley)
Young Writers Project is located at 47 Maple Street, Suite 216, Burlington, VT 05401