Workshop > Choose an Angle

Choose an Angle

Look back at your list of traits and experiences from the last XP. From that list, choose a trait/experience or two that really personify you, and show why you are different, exceptional, wonderful.

Your personal thesis is the statement that will connect that trait/experience with who you are, and why you're the right choice for the college you're applying to. What is it about the story you want to tell, that makes you exceptional? A personal thesis takes a bit of nuance, but the basic traits in the graphic hold true.

Examples:
"My experience working at my local hospital has taught me the true meaning of hard work and dedication."

"Working full-time during high school proved to myself that I have the energy and tenacity to take on any challenge."

"I taught myself how to build robots, and with the right guidance I can use them to change the world."

Tips
Some tips:
  • Choose a trait that will help carry you into the future, successfully
  • Identify a story that centers on this trait/topic (how you developed the trait/a time when you had to use it/the first time you realized how important it was)

Developing a “personal thesis:”
  • Why is this trait important?
  • How will it help you in the future?
  • How can you “show, not tell” the reader about this trait?
Activty
Activity: Jot down the trait/topic/situation you want to focus on. List your answers to the questions above, in your response, including a short description of the story you've chosen that exemplifies this trait or topic.

Now that you've thought about those questions, can you distill your "personal thesis" into one sentence? Post your strong, one-sentence thesis in your response. (Remember: the definition of thesis--a statement or theory that is put forward as a premise to be maintained or proved. How can you prove that this trait is going to carry you to success?)
Feedback
Feedback: Respond to at least one other XP response here, and let them know what you think of their thesis. Are you drawn in to it? Is it impressive, unusual, interesting?