ACL Injury

I stumbled through the front door, threw my shoes off and laid on the floor. I didn’t want to move at all. An hour finally passed by, and I finally got up to get ready for practice. I thought it was going to be a nice normal practice, but it wasn’t. 

When I got there, we shot around a few until we met in the middle of the court to go over what we would do that night. Towards the end of our draining practice we decided to play a fun little game: someone shoots the ball and the other person tries to get the rebound then dribble to the other side of the court. We would then play one on one. I went a couple times and I was trying to push myself cause I was being a little slow. My left knee started to hurt a little bit. I thought it was all fine until I was up to play again. I was dribbling down the court because I had gotten the rebound, as I was doing that my teammate had caught up to me so I had done a crossover move. When I did that move, my upper half of my leg had gone in a totally different direction than my other half of the leg. As it happened I felt a pop in my knee. It then went completely numb after I had fallen to the ground immediately. I couldn’t tell if I was in pain or not. My teammates had helped me up off the ground and onto the bench. My coach had told me I needed to call my dad to let him know what had happened. My assistant coach had given me some ice to put on my knee. 

“You probably just tore your acl.” said my assistant coach

Tears had filled my eyes. 

Tearing my acl is one of my worst fears, I thought to myself. 

“It is very common for a girl your age to tear their acl.” He also stated. More tears ran down my face. I had never been so scared before about an injury.

After practice was over some of my teammates had helped me to go home. I rode in the back of a truck, because It was just around the corner from my house. When I got home my other teammate gave me a piggyback ride inside. I waited a few minutes before my dad came to bring me to the hospital. 

The lady at the front desk had stopped me and said to wait.She went and  grabbed a wheelchair for me because she had seen I was limping. I waited in the waiting room for a few hours until someone finally got me in. They ended up taking an x-ray of my leg. I waited  for the results to come back to see what actually happened. They finally came back with the results.They said I had some fluid in my knee, which explained the swelling. They ended up giving me a knee immobilizer and some crutches. I had to go  back to the doctors a few weeks later.  They said I should get an MRI because there was still some swelling. After two weeks of waiting,  I ended up getting an MRI.They then said I tore my acl. I was really upset when they told me that.

jasmine_0000