The Crime

“For the first time I was beginning to understand what life is all about,” the police officers eyes cut deep into Toms chest as he spoke “I was beginning to see that all this livin’ ain’t worth dying for if we can’t make a difference in someone’s life, and make a difference that will leave them a little changed for the better.”

Tom bit his lip, the room about him seemed colder than it ever had before. Those concrete walls that seemed to drip with the pain of those who had touched them in the years past.  The cry of someone far off, someone who had reached rock bottom, someone who had lost faith in the world that had caused them so much pain, someone who had forgotten how to love.  It was only a joke, he thought, desperately, no one was ever supposed to get hurt.  Officer Stone rested a large hand on the teenagers shoulder and said quietly “I know you Tom, this isn’t who you are”

He watched Toms face for a moment and than when no response was given he turned and left, locking the cell door behind him.  

Darkness fell like a menacing cloak about the small chamber, drifting through Tom's thoughts with a sickening loneliness that seemed to swallow the little light he had left.

Don’t get caught, the command had sounded easy enough, but it had all happened so fast, it had spun like a twister, whirling out of control till Tom found himself all alone, all alone at the scene of a crime he had committed. 

“This isn’t who you are” Stones words echoed through the room, gliding off the walls and piecing Toms skin. No, this isn’t who I am. He pulled his hoodie away from his face and tilted his chin to the ceiling. I can do better, I know I can. 

ZoeBuhner07