Workshop > Get Organized

Get Organized

Using the accomplishments you listed, create a list of content that will appear in your resume. Your narratives are a good starting point—cut them down to the main points. Give each a short title that explains what the project or role was. Next, include: what you did, where you did it, and why it’s important to this resume (what skill did you learn from the experience?). The trick here is to tailor your resume to the job application, without being obvious about it. Just make sure you hit on as many of the attributes that they're looking for, that you can.

Begin to develop your resume writing voice. Use active words—describe what you’ve accomplished, and what skills you developed to get yourself there. Focus on what you did, as opposed to what you saw or what others involved in the projects did. Keep it concise--the people reading your resume are probably quite busy. Get your point across with power and style. Check out these tips, particularly number three, for some ideas on streamlining your lingo. If you're having trouble finding the right words, here are some suggestions.

Mark each accomplishment as work-related, school-related, or self-guided. Start thinking about how to organize your accomplishments to showcase them best—would chronological work, or should you go with relevance? (Chronological is a safe bet, but the choice is yours!)

Post your list as a response to this XP.

Feedback: Let your peers know how their resume is shaping up. Was there anything that didn't make sense? Any extra information that you didn't need/wasn't relevant? What was the most crucial point that they should definitely include in a final draft?