Workshop > Get it on Paper

Get it on Paper

Now's the time to take your list of content and begin to format it as a resume.

Develop a header with your contact information. Employers need to know where you are, and how to get in contact with you. Phone, home address, email... what else? Do you have a page on LinkedIn, or another professional online page?

Organize your experience into logical categories/order (relevance? Chronology?) You may want to have different categories for relevant work, education, and “other” experiences. Make sure that each section is clearly indicated, and separate from the others. Check out this article from Business Insider about what to include in your resume, if you want some more in-depth ideas.

Find your style and voice. Use formatting to draw the readers eye to important sections/words. It's important that the person reading your resume can get a sense of what's included, quickly. Make headers that are easily readable, and highlight each section, so the reader knows where to look. Be concise. Be professional. Be consistent (with font, headers, bullet styles, etc.) But don’t be too stuffy or boring.

Simple is generally best, but not everything needs to look exactly the same! Have a little fun with it—especially if you’re applying for a “creative” or visual position. This article from ResumeGenius has some great tips, and so does this blog post. There are also a couple of examples attached to this XP (special thanks to resumewriting.net, themuse.com, and xdesigns.net) ranging from simple, black and white preparations, to more complex and colorful ideas. Maybe yours will fall somewhere in between!

Post your draft as a response to this XP.

Tips: Try to keep it to one page. Highlight the most important parts with formatting, so you can get the gist in under 30 seconds.