Workshop > Home Studio

Home Studio

Your Home Studio

The first thing that anyone can do to get a higher-quality audio recording, is to eliminate background noise and feedback. It's always a good idea to have an ambient noise track--but on your vocal track, the ideal is to have nothing but the vocals.

Feedback refers to the sound of your own voice hitting the microphone more than once, at different times. In a recording environment (as opposed to a live performance with amplification) this is usually caused by some sort of echo. Imagine there's a microphone in front of the man in the image--you'll hear him and the echo in the recording.

To reduce echo and feedback, you'll want to mimic a sound recording studio (or anti-echo chamber) as much as possible.

If you've ever been in a recording studio, you likely noticed the thick foam padding on the walls and ceiling.

You can mimic the "dampening" effect of that padding by using anything upholstered or soft and heavy.

NPR made a great blog post about the process--take a look to see how the pros do it.

Regardless of the quality of your recording equipment, taking the time to set up a mini-studio will improve your recording quality.

Activity: Let's give it a try. For this XP, you'll just be recording a vocal track. The goal is to get as much background and feedback out of the track as possible--we should be able to hear the slightest changes in your voice.

Record one version inside your home studio set-up, after you've surrounded your microphone and self with dampening, textured sound barriers.

Upload both versions here, and include a short post about what you did to set up your studio, and what changes you noticed. Include a picture of your pillow fort--er--recording studio!