Workshop > The Draft

The Draft

So by now you should have gotten some response -- feedback from other participants and Middlebury College mentors -- to help you decide which is your favorite Opening Scenario and First Two pages. Now it's time to submit a Rough Draft.

Some hints: Keep in mind your favorite Opening Scenario,  your characters, the wants and obstacles (competing forces or competing wants) and the Inciting Incident. Think about the suggestions you've received. Now go for it. Make sure you have enough time and energy to get through the draft if you can. Good luck.

Activity I
So by now you should have gotten some response -- feedback from other participants and Middlebury College mentors -- to offer suggestions and, perhaps, help you decide which is your favorite Opening Scenario and First Two pages. Now it's time to submit a Rough Draft. Click RESPOND below. Give yourself plenty of time. Make it through to the end if you can. 

Some hints: Keep in mind your favorite Opening Scenario (copy and paste it from your previous XP if you want), your characters, the wants and obstacles (competing forces or competing wants) and the Inciting Incident. Think about the suggestions you've received. Now go for it. Make sure you have enough time and energy to get through the draft if you can. Good luck.

Also: Write this in the proscribed style and format (the .pdf in the previous XP) it will make your life easier; basically center the character's name above that character's passage; do an extra return after a character's passage and keep your play to about 10 pages total. (You can cut and past into Word if you want to see how close you are.) THAT SAID, on this draft, it's ok to go a little long or a littleshort. 
Activity II
Once you've completed your draft, give some of the other participants some feedback. Below is a pdf that you can download and use as you comment. This is a much more purposeful commenting process than you may be used to, but it is how the Middlebury College mentors will respond to the plays. This is very specific and helpful. You don't have to use the exact form, but use it as a guide to give the participants your own observations.