Dye

My alarm clock made me wake up with a terrible headache. Maybe it was because I had been so excited about dying my hair the day before. I dyed the entirety of my hair a red-pink color and I was so excited to show it off to all of my friends today at school.

First, I got dressed in my uniform and put my hair into a nice long braid-wait. Something was wrong. I couldn’t feel my hair. My hair band was just resting on my fingers, waiting to tie my hair into a long slick braid. But I couldn’t. My hand was just touching empty air.

I ran to the bathroom as fast as I could. Once I got there, I screamed. I screamed so loud, in so much shock, because my hair was gone! My mom came running up to see what had happened and recoiled in shock.

“Gwen! What did you do!?” she yelled in her panic-mom mode. I stood speechless, just like her. I had no clue what happened and just wanted my hair back. But how? I reached for the dye box and looked all over it. I shook my head. I hadn’t read the dumb fine-print. It said something about Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. We learned about that in science! It’s in paint remover! I groaned in annoyance at my obvious mistake. I can’t be worrying about this now! I got to get to school!

I grabbed my mom's scarlet red hoodie from her room. Maybe I could disguise myself and pretend I was a new student! No one was going to recognize me! I put on the hoodie and looked at myself in my bedroom mirror. I already looked so different! I never wore hoodies to school. No one would know it was me!

After getting myself some breakfast I grabbed my backpack and got into the car to go to school. My foot was tapping anxiously along the way while my mind was working on what could happen during the day. What if someone found out about my hair loss? Everyone would be laughing at me and staring at my bald head. Maybe going to school today wasn’t a good idea. Instead, I could’ve gone wig shopping. But right when I thought of the idea, we just arrived at school. There was no point in talking about it now.

Right when I got out of the car, I noticed something. Something I didn’t think I would see. It was my friend Tasha. And she looked just like me. Bald. Confused, I walked up to her.

“Hey Tasha, what did you do to your hair?” I asked as politely as I could.

“Oh, hey Gwen! I decided to donate all of my hair a charity that makes wigs for kids in our town. I actually like this new look for me,” she said. I smiled. “Well,” I said. “I have something to show you.” I took off my hoodie, hands trembling, to reveal my hairless head. Tasha’s mouth beamed in delight. “Hey look! I’m not the only bald girl here!” she squealed as she hugged me. I nodded in agreement. My bald head wasn’t alone.

Thetford Academy

More by Thetford Academy