TP_Flex's picture

Evil Invasives

Imagine a forest where all the trees are thriving, and beautiful ash trees are everywhere. Within the next four years, more than 90% of those same trees could be dead. If the emerald ash borer beetle strikes the forest, then those ash trees would have a very small chance of surviving. “Small trees can die as soon as one to two years after infestation, while larger infested trees can survive for three to four years” (The Arbor Day Foundation)  The emerald ash borer is an invasive creature coming to our forests, and so we need to stop the emerald ash borer before the problem get bigger than it already is.  

The emerald ash borer is a small beetle that is thought to have originally come from China. When the emerald ash borer is an adult, the bug eats small portions of ash tree leaves. So far the emerald ash borer has “Killed hundreds of millions of ash trees in North America.” (Emerald Ash Borer Information Network) and the emerald ash borer is going to keep killing trees. The emerald ash borer does not do a lot of damage to trees as adults, but when the bug is a larvae, it eats away at the inside of the tree, making it so that the tree can’t get water or nutrients, causing that tree will die. We need to spread the word about what the emerald ash borer is and how it is affecting our community.

When an emerald ash borer larvae is in an ash tree, the larvae will eat small indents into the inside of the tree right below the bark that looks like a maze of different paths, all interwinding and taking nutrients out of the ash tree. When an emerald ash borer is fully grown, they will leave the ash tree, and they make a small distinguishable D-shaped hole in the bark of the tree when they leave the tree in the spring.

One way we can prevent the emerald ash borer from being a big factor on deforestation is by telling more people what the bug is, and how they should be looking out for the signs of the bug in their ash trees. Emerald ash borers can eat through many trees in their lifetime, but if people know what the bug looks like, then more people will see what is happening to our ash trees, because a  of our trees are dying, and we need to tell more people what a emerald ash borer is, and how they can stop the spread.

Another way we can stop the spread is by not moving firewood. When people move firewood, they are unknowingly spreading the insect faster than the bug is moving itself. The emerald ash borer only moves 2-3 miles in its lifetime, but when people take the bug to their campground, they end up putting down the wood for their fire, and the emerald ash borer gets out of the wood and into the forest around the campground and infects the ash trees nearby. Not moving firewood, and telling more people about the emerald ash borer could majorly help our trees.  

If we just spread the word about the emerald ash borer then we can do so much for our trees, because then people will be willing to learn about the insect, and what they can do to make it so that the emerald ash borer doesn't get into their ash trees. If the word is spread, then people will be willing to fight against the bug, and try to reclaim the ash trees.   

Bibliography

“Emerald Ash Borer.” Emerald Ash Borer -
     The Arbor Day Foundation, www.arborday.org/trees/health/pests/emerald-ash-borer.cfm.

“Emerald Ash Borer Beetle.” USDA APHIS |
     Emerald Ash Borer Beetle, www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/resources/pests-diseases/hungry-pests/the-threa....

Matsoukis. “Emerald Ash Borer Information Network.”
     Emerald Ash Borer, www.emeraldashborer.info/.

“Vermont Invasives.” Emerald Ash Borer in Vermont
     | Vermont Invasives, vtinvasives.org/land/emerald-ash-borer-vermont.

TP_Flex's picture
About the Author: TP_Flex