My Findings

An unforgiving ebony green, patiently waiting on the ground.
Tender hands pull it from its somber existence, a leaf; a diamond in the rough
In its richness, its vivid veins, sparking its surface.

It rings so true all other plant that dares poke its head through the gritty soil, is left quite bland and plain.
Abstract hexagonal patches its venation, deep-rooted in color.

The leaf, a scintillating, yet temporary being. The plants, quite the opposite.

So I do not become smitten by the beauty of my find for, my eyes cannot help themselves but wander through the network of life weaving its growing stalks further into its presence.
The plants, they grow in waves, some spreading from the center. Flaunting their newest circle of living of
Brilliant greens, some so new to the movement of the air, the stalks still red.

They spend their life surrounded by their relatives, reminiscent of the past year of sun. Until new growth pushes its way to the last wave, when they too, are no longer are the epicenter.

And yet, something so bold and free, limitless in how the bark splinters, and stretches; breathing
Stands a tree.
Dwarfing the coils of fresh life in all their tiresome abundance, with its dutiful stance from the soil, its very life proving
Time.

It seems it was made to marvel at. It takes its time with its colors, an array of weathering, and triumph.

Evergiving, in air, shelter, and shade.

I cannot bear to deprive myself of what it offers, 
I stand amidst the shade, and the blood of the earth pours out, in vulnerable flowers, every petal a strike to my eyes.
Just as I did the leaves, I reach down to the humbled soil, the land enveloping, brash, and dry.
I feel the petals still saturated in the rainfall of the previous night

Holding on to something the others have forgotten.

Alessandra G.

MA

More by Alessandra G.