Frayed

Inspired by Amanda Gorman's amazing poem, "The Hill We Climb," at the Joe Biden and Kamala Harris Inauguration, Jan. 20, 2021.

On the night of January 6th, 2021, my hope was frayed. The events of our country deepened the running edges of my trust, and ripped through the fragile fabric of democracy, freezing the world into silence. A void of uncertainty spread across the people, a void so delicate, lapping with tension, that it seemed even the slightest touch could tear free our connection, separating red and white, two peoples divided, two peoples that didn't use to be all that different, that used to be united as one.

Now, as I stand with America on the vast expanse of history, we point our gaze upwards, to the horizon that awaits, our wounds slowly stitched together by new hope, and collective belief in our new President and Vice President. As dawn prevails over the land, we look forward, to a new day, a new era of America, where the people stand together, not as white or red, but as the vibrant orange of sunrise, united as one, bound tighter than ever by the lessons we have endured.

Ice Blink