The dancing duck

Once again, I settled down, expecting another restless night. I watched the clock tick, seconds turning into minutes, minutes to hours. I listened to the music quietly playing under my pillow and my vision started to blur as I drifted off to sleep. Entering my own dream world, I was still in my bed, facing the window where my clock sat. My eyes slowly opened and closed as if I was in a trance and everything seemed to be in slow motion. 

From inside my dream, the music still played as I can recall which songs I listened to. As I looked into the darkness outside of my now open window, two shapes shuffled in the shadows along my windowsill. As they got closer my fear shot up. My body felt stiff and my eyes had permanently glued themselves to these mysterious objects making their way towards me. Suddenly, I felt a sharp poke and I moved my hand to grab whatever had touched me, only to feel a small, wriggling duckling attempting to escape my grasp. 

Surprised and confused, I looked around with the small duckling still struggling to get free. I lifted my covers and peered into them, just to see another duckling snuggled up next to my foot. The second duckling must have sensed my gaze, as it jumped up and stumbled over, barely catching itself as it fell off the side of the bed. I lunged forward trying to catch it but I had forgotten the other duckling which had already freed itself from my clasp. I watched dumbfounded as the ducklings scurried across my bedroom floor. Almost falling over, I started to chase the ducklings until it seemed as if I was in a scene from a cartoon. Arms outstretched, running in circles, it seemed to last forever.

Finally snapping back to reality, I quickly sat up in my bed, bewildered. Coming back to my senses, I looked at my floor as if I was expecting to see two ducklings running around my room. I let out a loud sigh, and turned my head to look over at the clock. 4:30. As I rubbed my heavy eyes, I flopped back into the comforting embrace of my blankets. Pondering what I had just experienced brought another wave of exhaustion and I fell, once again, into my not so peaceful slumber. 

As I slept, once again I found myself in the same dream. This time, however, I was ready. I fixed my gaze on the window, prepared to see and catch the two pesky ducklings. Glaring into the window, a small shift of movement caught my eye. My eyes started to adjust and standing in the windowsill, were not two ducklings, but one full grown duck. White silky feathers, beady little eyes and a bright yellow beak. Feelings of anger and confusion washed over me. I had really been looking forward to catching those ducklings, and this duck had the audacity to barge in and take their place. 

After serious consideration as to what I should do, I decided to just catch the duck. As I crawled slowly out of my bed and started making my way towards the duck, I tripped and fell. Suddenly, a wave of light drowned me and my surroundings. Overwhelmed by the brightness, I squinted my eyes. When my eyes had fully adjusted, there it was. The duck, in all its glory, shining like a star. 

The duck had its wings outstretched, waiting for me to take them. "Tennessee Whiskey" started to play from my phone and the duck and I danced. We danced all around my room and as it twirled around, its feathers spread apart revealing a beautiful blue pattern. Patterns similar to what you may find on old pottery, recovered from the bottom of a river. As we danced, time seemed to slow down, everything in the moment was beautiful, magical and unforgettable. 

A creaking sound startled me as I looked to see my father open my bedroom door. At that very moment, I woke up. "Tennessee Whiskey" was still playing and I smiled, letting out a small laugh. 

Isabelle_Weed7