the community

Recent Comments

• Reply to: night time   Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 7:11pm
    Comment Author:

it says, it illuminates the snowing.

• Reply to: Euthanasia in the Netherlands 2002   Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 4:59pm
    Comment Author:

Hi Casey, welcome to the site!

I really applaud you for tackling this topic because it's not one that receives much attention. I remember first learning about Jack Kevorkian and the history of voluntary euthanasia back in a psychology class many moons ago, and it still crosses my mind sometimes. I've never come across this theme in a fictional context before so it piqued my interest.

I did have some confusion, mostly because of the title/dates I think - the tone and style make it sway a little bit more toward personal essay territory as opposed to fiction. I understand the limitations of the challenge but there might still be room in this to add more emotion or specific story elements.

• Reply to: February 21, 2018   Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 1:43pm
    Comment Author:

This is so great, Ben. Thank you for using your platform to draw attention to this issue.

• Reply to: Dreams of Gunshots and Numbers   Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 11:27am
    Comment Author:

H20.hollym, this piece is so dream-like, (the church up in the mountains) and such a nightmare (racing through the muddy fields, running away from a shooter in your school.) And forceful. Your questions are excellent: "How long is this going to continue? How long before it's us? " Thank you for this.

• Reply to: Because of You   Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 11:12am
    Comment Author:

I agree with Nightheart. I also like the way you write it. You don't directly say when or where or what this was, but you make it clear by sharing what you feel, that many others can connect to

• Reply to: but i did   Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 11:11am
    Comment Author:

Drift, thank you for writing with such skill to bring this nightmare into the light. It doesn't seem real. It couldn't be happening. And then, you write, somebody looks outside, sees the police, and comments, "that's an assault rifle." What? We feel your fear, understand your panic and your need to flee, to run, coatless in the rain, to get away. It's heartbreaking to hear you say, " i don't want to go back, but i have to." This is your school. And that's how you see it now. Things have to change. Thank you for sharing this.

• Reply to: night time   Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 11:02am
    Comment Author:

Friend....."The snowing" WUT ????

• Reply to: February 21, 2018   Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 10:39am
    Comment Author:

Ben, it makes me so sad to think of you and your classmates wondering if this is the new normal. What has happened? Why is it like this?
    Thank you for sharing this moment and your thoughts. And thank you for urging others to join you in taking action -- March 14!

• Reply to: A fountain of tears   Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 10:31am
    Comment Author:

Nightheart, you have captured the frustration, fear, anger, disillusionment, and seeming hopelessness people -- especially students -- are feeling today. But I read this with the hope that voices like yours will be heard. That questions like yours -- "How many kids will
    have to die in the place
    where they learn?" -- will be answered with No more! No more! Thank you for writing this.

• Reply to: February 21, 2018   Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 7:26am
    Comment Author:

I don't think I can say anything other than thank you.

• Reply to: February 21, 2018   Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 9:34pm

This is really good Ben.

• Reply to: night time   Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 8:41pm
    Comment Author:

hi peeps! I hope you like my poems!

• Reply to: Hockey Star   Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 7:32pm
    Comment Author:

Do it. Break those barriers. You are awesome!

• Reply to: Gym   Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 5:28pm
    Comment Author:

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Reply to: America Bleeds   Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 2:42pm

thank you.

• Reply to: The Best Surprise Party   Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 12:42pm
    Comment Author:

Hi. We'll send you out an email in advance of publication. Thanks much.

gg

• Reply to: The Best Surprise Party   Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 10:58am
    Comment Author:

Thank you! My student who wrote this was very excited. Could you tell me how I will know if it ends up getting published or not?

• Reply to: Gold Standard   Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 10:35am
    Comment Author:

angela, so much better. thanks so much. ... so still hung up by the customer seemingly seeing money in your hands and making value judgments. They wouldn't judge you by the change you are giivng but the clothing you are wearing, or the way you do your hair, no? so maybe change "number of coins..." to "my T.J.Maxx jeans, my home-dyed hair"... use your words, but I hope you get the idea. AT LEAST, as I interpret the poem, that you are judged, every day, every sale, by people who have no business judging.
    gg

• Reply to: Gym   Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 10:26am
    Comment Author:

Hmm, sad to say this is more real than fiction. AND that's what makes this such a good story. It's entirely believable. You hooked me from the beginning. Nicely done.

What's next in this saga? What does Ava do? What do the girls do?

ONE thought might be to make the girls older than 4th grade. What about middle school? Or early high school? just a thought. If you do make them older, I think you can do more with the idea.

cheers,
    gg

• Reply to: frabbit fable 1   Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 5:43am

Iz tru!

• Reply to: Writers Block   Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 5:38am

a work of art!

• Reply to: Writers Block   Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 5:37am

lol

• Reply to: Gold Standard   Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 10:34pm
    Comment Author:

Thanks for the great comment! I made some major adjustments, tell me what you think! I can always change it back if need be, but I wanted to get my message across more clearly and I hope the edits do that.

• Reply to: Control   Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 9:54pm
    Comment Author:

Thanks! I'm so glad you liked it!

• Reply to: Gold Standard   Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 8:37pm
    Comment Author:

Love to write, I do understand angelaweasley's poem and I like it, too. To me it represents the continual division between a cashier and the wealthy, the buyer and the clerk, the wealthy and the not-so.

Perhaps what confused you is what confused me, a bit which was the line "pile of money in my belly" ... I wonder, angela, whether you could use a different analogy there.

also, I wondered, too, whether it's clear enough that you do hate it all.

thanks so much for sharing this. nice poem.

gg