Discovery

The faint hums of the creatures inhabiting this peculiar land competed with the splotchy sounds of their boot dragging across the dampened forest floor. Only the soft glow of undiscovered plants illuminate the path in front of them. The lush vegetation was vibrant in color, almost glowing in contrast to the nearly murky shadows consuming the area around them.

They pondered on how did they get here in the first place, was it because of pure curiosity or the feeling of finally achieving something in their short life? Their queries accompany them and a sigh escapes their lips while venturing further into this realm. Their moisten boots slumped against a tree branch, swiftly tumbling down a hill. 

Bumping into rocks and shrubs laying along the rough skin of the slope. Branches snag and rip the fabric of their clothing leaving a small trail of fabric scraps to the line of impact. Dazed from the collision, their line of sight foggy, only the muted silhouettes of greenery visible. Their vision steadily lucid as the surroundings become comprehensive painting more of a precise picture around the surrounding area. Ears ringing slightly. 

A bioluminescent blue glow cascaded throughout the rocky caves leaving a breathtaking scene for this explorer. Their eyes wandered in awe of what they have discovered. Bundles of crystal-like vines were scattered along the canopy, twinkling and sparkling in the faint shadows that consumed most of the cave. They felt soaked and heavy from the damp grass below them, noticeably colder than before. But they couldn’t care to dwell longer on this seemingly insignificant problem presented to them. I mean, they might be the biggest thing they’ve ever discovered. Vegetation gleaming, towering throughout, slight whispers flowing in the air, the twinkles from vines and uncovered bugs. It was, overwhelming. 

They picked themself off of the ground to continue with their voyage. Everything was so, captivating, they couldn’t look away if they tried. Traveling more and more, the cave seemed to call for them to keep looking, enchanting them with its beautiful scenery. The sound of their footsteps flooded and bounced in soaked soil beneath the soles of their feet, but wait. Time seems to have stopped, and their stomach dropped, confused as to what just happened. Their foot slipped on the very ground they’d been walking on. The captivating world they’ve long for slips away as their body descend into the nightmares soon to discovered. Faint hums sting their ears as they get consumed by the darkness below.

Summit House-WCS

YWP Instructor