My Shot

My favorite song is My shot from the musical Hamilton. My shot crosses between different genres of music, but it is overall Hip-Hop. The setting of Hamilton is set in the era where America is young, and takes place between 1776, and 1801. There are many reasons why My shot is my favorite song. One reason is because Lin-Manuel-Miranda; the one who sings the song, is one of those singers who even when he is less singing and more “talking-with-a-melody” is good at it and never lets the song down for a second. Including some of his other songs from Hamilton, like Aaron Burr, Sir, which in the 1st minute of the song, Lin-Manuel-Miranda “talking with a melody” worked because the writing made it so that within the first minute, the rhythm was never interrupted. This all to say the writing and singing of the Hamilton musical as a whole is great, which makes in my humble opinion the best song in Hamilton all the more great.

At the beginning of the song, Hamilton talks about how he is very capable because in the song he says “I probably shouldn’t brag, but dang I amaze and astonish,” which shows that he is very bright. However, he also says he is not well-respected because in the song he says “the problem is I got a lot of brains but no polish, I have to holler every word, just to be heard, with every word, I drop knowledge, I’m like a diamond in the rough, a shining piece of coal, trying to reach my goal, my power of speech, unimpeachable.” This shows that while he has great potential, he is like “a diamond in the rough,” which generally means he is of good character, but lacks high status or manners. This is shown when he says “I have to holler every word, just to be heard with every word, I drop knowledge,” which once again shows that he is very astute, but also says “I have to holler every word, just to be heard,” which explains that he is not well respected, and has to go through a lot of work “just to be heard.” 

Later into the song, it goes to 4 different people who “sing with a melody” about joining the revolutionary war. They contribute to building the “rising action” of the song. Even later Hamilton starts saying how everyone should “rise up” and not be oppressed by the opposers, which also contributes to the rising action. Just after this, Hamilton starts talking about death and if he has lived his life to the fullest and if it is worth it to risk his life for a greater cause. And finally, the climax of the song where he decides that he is going to “take his shot” and support the revolution in his own way. By fighting battles politically. And at the very end, he perfectly sums up the song with “I’m not throwing away my shot,” the same line that the song began with.

In conclusion, My Shot is not just a regular song, but it tells a story about someone who wants to do good for America and has to overcome struggles and learn about himself in the process. And that is why My Shot is my favorite song. It’s also catchy as heck.

Summit House-WCS