Workshop > Intro to Editing

Intro to Editing

Let's start editing!

It's time to get into the fun stuff--exploring the possibilities of editing audio.

For this XP, we're going to focus on a few common things that you'll want to know how to do as you begin your journey towards becoming a master sound technician.

Activity I: Our first editing task is to clean up the beginning and end of this piece, using the fade in and fade out effects, in the effects menu (some editing programs may use different names for these effects).

Fade in creates an escalating volume level, so that you aren't immediately subjected to full volume audio.

Fade out does the opposite, so that your audio doesn't end quite so abruptly.

Tip: If you apply the fade effects to a longer section of audio, the fade will be more gradual and subtle. Be careful though, if you go too far you won't be able to hear the beginning of the piece at all!

If you make a mistake, there's always the Edit>>Undo safety valve!

Select the area of track you want to apply your effect to, and then select the effect from the menu. Easy as that.

Deleting Audio

Being able to remove a piece of wayward audio without interrupting the flow of the project is an issue that plagues amatuer audio editors worldwide.

By removing audio from the vocal track, but leaving the ambient track intact, the tell-tale skip in the audio can be avoided, or at least, masked by the ambient noise.

Activty II: Listen to your audio track again. Were there any spots where you misspoke? Cleared your throat? Pick a spot that you want to remove from the recording of your voice (the vocal track).

Removing a piece of audio is really easy--just highlight the area of the waveform you want to delete and hit delete/backspace (in some editors, you may need to "cut" the track at the beginning and end of the part you want to remove).

Make sure that you're only selecting the vocal track, and not your ambient track! If you delete from your ambient (background) noise, you'll hear a tell-tale skip in the audio.

Tip: Zoom in when trying to select a smaller area with accuracy!

When you are satisfied with your recording, and you've edited out any awkward pauses or noises, save the file and upload it as your response to this XP.

You've just recorded a podcast!

(For an in-depth walkthrough of this XP, using Audacity, head over to our tutorial on fold.cm!)

Recap

Now you know the basics of how to create and edit an audio piece. Most audio recording and editing software works similarly, so these tips will apply pretty universally.

Remember to:
-Lay down an ambient track
-Take your time at the beginning and end of the recording
-Make sure you have plenty of breath, so you can read slowly but naturally
-Apply effects by highlighting the area on the waveform, and selecting from the effects menu
-Don't be afraid to mess up--you can always undo something you've tried!
-Save your file as a project file and export it as a .wav or .mp3 file

Now that we have the basics down, we can start having some real fun!