Make sense of two senses

He was in the middle of the pine trees, their scent mingled with wet dirt. I could see him just breathing these shallow, exaderated breaths as if doing so would make it real. The quiet murmerings of the forest comforted me naught; his silence was forced. Did he know I was there? I doubt it. If he did, maybe he would have said something. There was no crunch of leaves or out of shape huffs of sharp breaths, there was no sound of humans for miles; I believe that is why he was there in the first place, though he seemed rather put off.
            And then he was gone, and the forest fell into a dangerous, unnatural silence that made goosebumps rise on my body. When I started walking back, I noticed that the leaves didn't make a sound, yet I could hear my heartbeat drowning out my breath. Walking faster only made me realise that the colors were fading. Looking around showed me more muted colors of fall then just a few miniutes ago. It was as if I was in a photo and someone lowered the sateration. I felt the crunch of the leaves under my feet with no sound to match, and soon the world was colorless.
            I started walking faster and taking deeper breaths as if that would quiet my drum of a heart. It did not, but I was much more intreaged by the shimmering of light in some places. Bending down, I saw a shimmer of the most vibrant shade of orange on that leaf then I ever did and have ever done. It reminded me of pumpkin pie and some of the poppys outside that building I go by everyday. Walking on and, eventually, I heard a crunch as I put my boot down on the leaves and startled at the slight return of sound. The murmering of the forest gently increased as did these vibrant beutiful colors to my vision.
            When I stopped, the colors faded to their normal hue and to my dissapointment; when I halted in my tracks the sound was the same, and yet the goosebumps I had prior returned, and I heard the boy breathing near my ear. He whispered about flowers I can't name or draw, events I've forgotten and ideas that have been lost to this world. One more step, and his voice stopped, and since that day I have only recieved questions and a frusterating lack of answers for that day.

Burnt Black Petals

More by Burnt Black Petals

• Succulent

There is a small plant that sits on the corner of my life.

It is a tough little plant;
    I have not watered it.
    I do not give it soil, but I do take it, and throw it to the wind.
  • List

You succeeded but you failed
    You succeeded but you failed
    You succeeded
    You succeeded but you failed

You are above their bar and below yours
    You survived but you do not celebrate

They say you reached for the stars.
  • Dying songbird

Please don't leave me, you dying songbird.

Your song is still beautiful, no matter the notes, no matter the order
    Please don't leave your rusting cage via shoebox, friend.