M'Riah's picture

Dear Baby...

Dear Baby,

You haven’t been named yet, I don’t think. I hope they decide soon or you could still be ‘Baby’ for the rest of your life. That won’t happen.

Today, you entered the world. This world is something you know nothing about yet, but you will soon. By the time you read this, you will be 18 and well on your way to adulthood and understanding. At least, I’m sure that’s what you’re thinking. But I can tell you that being an adult has nothing to do with your age, but everything to do with your perception and choices you make.

Here’s the thing, you were born a girl. But if you’re different now, that’s okay. However, you are going to meet people in your life who will discriminate against you, whether you’re a girl or transgender. There are people out there who decide that no one is good enough for them. I hate to say it, but you’re included. Just because you were born able to feed a baby if you wished, because you were born with the ability to bear children, because you were born with beauty and grace, they will put everything they have into tearing you down. This is the world I live in today.

But Babygirl, I hope this is not your world. I wish upon you wonder, curiosity, compassion, strength, determination, and love.

Remember to always be kind. 

Love Forever,
Aunt Cassie

M'Riah's picture
About the Author: M'Riah
Moriah J Hammond