joseph.deffner's picture

Don’t Run On The Staircase

Don’t Run On The Staircase

People tell you don’t run with scissors, don’t talk with strangers, don’t chew with your mouth open, and a whole bunch of other things that you shouldn’t do. One “don’t” tip that I have been told but still learned the hard way, was “Don’t run on the staircase.”

When I first learned that I shouldn’t run on the staircase, I was about 4 or 5 - I can’t quite remember exactly.  I usually walked up the stairs, but I thought, “Why take forever walking up or down the stairs when I can get up or down them faster by running?” After deciding that running up and down the stairs would make this boring task much more fun, I tried it.  I really liked running up and down the stairs, I would no longer take forever walking up and down the stairs. I didn’t know it at the time, but my idea was far from smart. In fact, it was pretty unsafe, and an accident waiting to happen.Still, I began running up and down the stairs regularly.  

One day while running up the stairs, everything suddenly went downward with a big Bam! I had missed the next step in front of me and my body made a thump, thumping noise as I fell back down the stairs. My mom heard the bang and came running to see what the noise was all about.  She yelled “ You scared me to death, you sounded like a bowling ball rolling down the stairs!” After she had checked me all over to make sure that I was okay she said,    “ Please don’t run on the stairs again, I don’t want you to get hurt.”  I thought it would be a good idea to listen to her after that, because I didn’t want to fall on the stairs again.  My cool idea seemed to be giving my mother gray hair and heartburn.  I figured I should probably find a better way of making going up and down the stair more fun that didn't involve me also falling down them.

I also definitely know that tripping and falling on the stairs isn’t fun, and I wouldn't want that to happen again. It’s funny how what at the time could seem like a good or cool idea, might be a bad one in the end, but please don’t tell anybody that sometimes I still run up the stairs when I’m in a hurry!!