Gems chapter 32- Heather (nanowrimo draft)

A/N: I accidently switched around two chapters so if you already read this you probably have to go to chapter 31 for the new update 

Travelling above the forest instead of through it was a lot faster. I was going as fast as I could. Strangely enough, the wind rushing past me didn’t make my eyes sting or water. I guess having the power of flight would be pretty useless if you couldn’t see every time you went fast.
The southern edge of the forest finally appeared, with Anna-Claire’s cabin sitting on the edge. I touched down in front of it and knocked on the door. Hopefully she was there.
The door opened a crack, paused a moment, and then opened further. Anna-Claire blocked the entryway, looking as cold as ever. “Heather. What are you doing here?”
I took a deep breath and tried to explain the situation clearly, but it ended up spilling out in a mess anyways. Anna-Claire’s eyebrows slowly rose as I talked. I took another breath. “I guess what I’m trying to say is we really, really need your help.”
Anna-Claire’s eyebrows lowered to their normal location. “No.” She started to close the door.
I wedged my foot between the door and the frame right before it shut and ignored the pain. “What? Why?”
Anna-Claire didn’t release pressure on the door. “This whole situation with Meo is too complicated and dangerous. I don’t know who’s the good and who’s the bad. I want to stay as far away from it as possible.”
I put a hand against the side of the house for balance. “So, you’re like Orvan. You don’t want contention.”
“You could put it that way. It’s for my own safety.”
“Yeah? Well Orvan’s dead,” I snapped. I realized right after I said it that it wasn’t very nice, but she was making me frustrated. “Master Bordellon killed him.”
Anna-Claire’s mouth twitched. “That’s why I didn’t want to get messed up with Master Bordellon. I stayed away from him, and I’m still alive. I’ve been singled out and alone my whole life, so I’m going to take care of myself.”
I narrowed my eyes at her. “You don’t seem like you have a happy life, though. Do you honestly enjoy living alone in this house and keeping to yourself?”
Anna-Claire thought about it. “Friendship is a good concept, but I don’t think it’s a reality for me. If you haven’t noticed, I’m not very good at socializing, or empathizing, or caring.”
I removed my foot from the door. “Sometimes I wonder if you even make an effort to do those things!”
Anna-Claire kept the door open, but didn’t say anything or move.
I threw my hands up and turned around. “Whatever! I give up. I get it, you’re afraid of getting hurt and making mistakes, so you’d rather sit around all alone. I have innocent lives to save. Maybe some cats stuck up in trees, too. I don’t know! At least I have a life!” I positioned myself to launch into the air.
“Wait.” Anna-Claire closed the door behind her as she walked up to me. “That wasn’t the kindest thing to say.”
I shrugged. “Sorry, but not sorry, I guess? Being nice isn’t my strong suit. I don’t care if you like me.”
“I wish more people were that honest.” Anna-Claire hesitated. “You make very good points. I like the way you think. I also like cats.”
I squinted in confusion. “So… you want to come and help?”
Anna-Claire nodded. I grinned and lifted her up into the air. She screamed and started flapping her arms around.
I winced. “Sorry! For real this time. I probably should have warned you first.”
Anna-Claire started pedaling her feet as well. “I’m starting to regret this already.”

About the Author: Pomp
Warning: Bound to suddenly start talking about Lego, cartoons, cats, fandoms, books, Europe, minerals, chemistry, the unfair way red-heads are treated, and Potatoes. 

sprouted

Gems chapter 33- Josh (nanowrimo draft)

A/N: This is probably the chapter I've struggled with the most wowy #Gems