Worlds Worst Detective

World’s Worst 

Detective

By: Daniel Oakley

It was the night of October fourteenth 1983. It was an unusually dark night. I was washing the dishes while my wife Margaret cooks dinner. I was on the last plate when I got a call from my boss. He told me that there was a burglar on the loose and I was the only detective in town.

So, with no hesitation I got ready and put very dark clothes on so I could not be seen by the burglar. I left and started driving my black minivan which also helped blend into the dark and went to the last place he was seen. I didn’t have the address so I invaded every house in the small town of Idaho I live in.

I saw many suspicious things like a guy with a sack of money, a crowbar and striped clothes, but I let him go because he must've been practicing for Halloween. Then I saw a man in a black tuxedo that looked at me wrong which was suspicious. He did not match the description my boss gave me but oh well. I locked him up in ropes and left him on the side of the road and went to go get some food. But, don’t worry I was looking through my broken spyglass to see if he was going anywhere.

When I got back I realized he wasn't there but, you can't always do the job right. So then I got back in my minivan and drove home. When I got home I found out I got fired…again. I think it's because of my expertise at my job. I wonder if they don’t have enough to pay me because I'm too good.

Daniel778

More by Daniel778

• Benjamin Williams

All my life it seems like I never made my own choices. I was put up for adoption right when I was born and was told that my parents didn't have enough money to support me.