mbove's picture

The Scene was Almost Perfect

The scene was almost perfect in front of me, almost. Other than the water everywhere from the hurricane, and the ruined houses, the sun was shining. Sun, the thing that would dry up all the water, sun, the thing that would everyone needed, sun, the light at the end of the tunnel. Hope was what we needed, the sun was that hope. We had been living in complete misery for the last few days, our clothes had never fully dried, and the darn mosquitoes were eating us alive! That’s not even talking about the damage that was done to the town, our home. Through this whole experience, there was one thing that kept me going, kept me from just stopping, and that was thinking about how there has to be an end. To the dampness, and to the sadness that fell over our town like a thick wet and heavy blanket. If I could have said one thing to our whole town today I would have said that every cloud has a silver lining and that we would get through this. All of us lost something during this hurricane season, maybe family members, but we never lost hope.

mbove's picture
About the Author: mbove
Mary