Edmunds Ghost Story

The stairs gently creaked beneath her feet, as she slowly ascended up. The muffled hum of voices coming through the floor wasn't enough to distract her from the eerie feeling emanating from the room. As she stepped cautiously onto the wooden floor, the air had a chilling stillness, making her shiver. It was then that she realized, this was a bad idea. Nonetheless, she boldly continued on, ignoring the doubt seeping into the back of her mind.
      She felt a pair of eyes, burning a hole in her back. She whipped around, searching frantically for one of her friends, hoping they were just playing a prank on her.
    “Mari? Cece? Are you there?” she called into the empty expanse. No response sounded back. Why did she agree to this? “I’m just imagining things,” she told herself. She took a deep breath and started walking towards the far wall. Each step resounded throughout the room. The air smelled of stale cigarettes and old dust. The walls looked as if there had been multiple repairs demanded. The floor wobbled, creaked, and bent as she passed. She approached the far wall.
      “I just have to go back, and then I can be done,” she said to herself. She turned herself around, pivoting on her foot, and started back towards the door. As she looked behind her, she heard a slam. She quickly turned back around towards the door. It had shut. She picked up her pace. When she got to the door, she tugged on the handle, but it was locked.
      “Mari and Cece, this isn't funny!” She said, trying to sound brave, but her voice betrayed her, trembling on the last word. Still, no response. Not even a stifled giggle came from the third floor.
      She looked all around the room while wiggling the doorknob, begging to be let out. When she had finally come to the conclusion that she was trapped, she slid down the wall and sat against it with her head in her hands.
      “Stupid dare,” she mumbled into her palms.
      After what seemed like hours, she heard a muted sound coming from the back of the chamber. As she slowly lifted her head, she saw a cloudy person, almost hovering in front of her.
      “Must be the tears screwing my vision up,” she said to herself. The person smiled and started slowly towards her.

“And no one has seen her ever since,” said Noah, my best friend.
      “Sure. That's just a stupid ghost story, that didn't actually happen.” I said.
      “Yes, it did. I should know. My great-grandmother was Mari, the girl who gave her the dare,” he explained.
      “Even if your great-grandmother was Mari, how would she know?” I countered.
      “Fine. If you're so hellbent on proving me wrong, why don't you go up there, and see for yourself!” he said.
      “Okay! I will. And I’ll be back in a minute.” I said, confidently.
      The stairs gently creaked beneath my feet, as I slowly ascended up. The incessant tapping of Noah’s foot, coming from the floor below, wasn't enough to distract me from the eerie feeling emanating from the room. As I stepped cautiously onto the wooden floor, the air had a chilling stillness, making me shiver. It was then that I realized, this was a bad idea. Nonetheless, I boldly continued on, ignoring the doubt seeping into the back of my mind.

About the Author: barkert
Tess