Sydney's picture

Colors, Sounds, and Patterns

Morning.
I was woken by the sound of the sun rising. It sounded like an enormous marching band led by 200 trumpet players. It started quiet, as if the band was still far off in the distance. But as I opened my eyes I could see the sun rising over the ocean. I heard it louder and louder until I began to hear the drum roll before the sun dipped out from behind the horizon. The sound stopped. The sun shone through my bedroom window and all was silent.

Lunch break at work from 11:30 to noon.
I saw my co-worker’s phone ringing. She had gotten up to grab a drink but had left her phone sitting on the table. I watched as the ringtone made red and yellow flashes across my mind. Each time it started over I saw all the colors come skipping back from a dark area on the right. Finally, the ringing stopped and the colors became fainter and fainter until they disappeared altogether.

At the dinner table with my family. Music is playing.
The Jazzy Dinner playlist produces a yellow feeling, a combination of contentment and potential energy. The station changes and I see the voice of Freddie Mercury sing “I've paid my dues, time after time”. I feel a quick shiver go through me and a swirling of black, red, and blue begins to appear before my eyes. All the colors blend together to form a brilliant purple as he sings “We are the champions, my friends, and we'll keep on fighting till the end”. Brilliant purple floods my mind. “No time for losers, cause we are the champions of the world!”.  Sweeping lines of black, yellow, and orange turning to magenta red.

Dong, Dong, Dong, Dong, Dong, Dong, Dong, Dong, Dong, Dong, Dong.
With each ring of the bell, a dark purple velvet will consume me. Like walking in the city with a friend during the holidays. It is cold, but you keep warm. It is busy, but you stay calm. It is loud, but you keep your voice low. It is bright, but you dim the lights. It is all happening because of joy, and you are thoroughly content.

Having synesthesia makes my life rich and wonderful. I'm able to live more fully because of it. I can drink a cup of rich hot cocoa and not only taste it, but also see the taste in my mind's eye. As the cup empties, I hear the sound of peace coming over me as I fall into a deep, comfortable sleep.