Crash and Burn

Violent winds batter the house and heavy rain slams down. It sounds more like bullets than simple drops of water. The family that lives in the house is down in the basement, listening to the loud wind and rain pounding against the house in merciless, continuous bouts. The family was safe, but the house was not built quite strong enough to withstand the full strength of the hurricane. It seemed that the walls of the house were only moments away from being torn down. The mother and father of the two children in the family had a fairly tense relationship, not at all on divorcing terms, but not on very good marital terms either. They seemed to argue a lot, but only when the children weren’t around. They weren’t going to subject the children to their anger just because they were having a difficult time in their marriage. It wasn’t anything a marriage counselor couldn’t fix, but the couple was determined to work it out on their own before they reached out for help. The two children, an eight-year-old boy and a four-year-old boy, stayed close together and the older brother was helping to distract the younger brother by letting him watch some videos with noise-cancelling headphones on. The younger brother was occupied just enough to forget about the vicious storm outside. The wife was holding onto her husband now, and just the physical contact alone was enough to relieve the angry tension that was between them before. The radio, which was slightly muffled with static, was telling everyone to evacuate their houses immediately and leave the area. The father of the two children picked up the four year old and carried him as the older brother and wife packed their most important belongings, including the pets, and they all rushed to the car, getting in, buckling up, and driving off as quickly but as safely as possible.

The father glanced up through the rearview mirror just in time to see the house topple down, finally succumbing to the relentless wind. A power line fell and sparked, setting the entire house and the wooden power line pole on fire. The mother sobbed softly, closing her eyes and covering her mouth. The four year old, securely strapped into his booster seat, is still engrossed in his video, completely unbothered by the chaos outside. The eight year old was hiding his face in his favorite blanket, rather scared but handling the situation very well for such a young boy. The father kept driving, being careful to avoid any obstacles that had appeared in the road. Behind his clear-framed glasses, his blue-green eyes were filled with concern, but the rest of his face remained neutral.

The car swerved lightly as the father dodged a falling tree. The four-year-old boy glanced up for a moment then continued watching his videos. The eight year old was peeking out from his blanket and watching as they were getting farther away from the roaring storm. The mother was silently saying a few prayers. After a few hours, they were out of the state and far away from the storm. The sky was now clear and sunny. The father took a hand off the wheel to rub his face for a moment. Everything was silent for the rest of the ride, then the father pulled into a motel parking lot. The family got out of the car, taking their pets and the pet food in with them since the motel allowed animals. They also took the suitcase of clothing they packed. The father paid for a room then got the key and the family walked to the room. Once they unpacked, the father sat at the edge of the bed he and his wife would share and rubbed his face again, something he did when stressed. His wife sat to him and gave him a gentle hug. The two boys were busy playing a game together, sitting on their own bed. The husband and wife talked silently, apologizing for everything that had happened between them during the past few days. They shared a gentle kiss then went to their sons, embracing both of them. Things might not be easy for a while, but at least they were still together.

About the Author: spiderwebs
“It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better.” — Tony Stark