The Sky's Favorite Color

#dialogue

"If the sky were a person, their favorite color would be blue."

"Ha! No kiddin', where'd ya get that idea from?"

"Well, it's most certainly true. You couldn't couldn't come up with anything better."

"Just watch me. Okay, so, if the Earth were a person, their favorite color would be... um..."

"Muddy brown?"

"No! 'Course not, it would obviously be blue too, 'cause it's always lookin' at the sky."

"Then perhaps it would grow tired of that color?"

"Naw. I wouldn't ever get tired of lookin' at it, if I saw you." 

"But you aren't the earth, you know." 

"Yeah. Never thought it possible to be jealous of a planet. But, it'd be gross with, like, little lice bugs crawling on ya all the time. But it'd be nice to be something else." 

"I would be a bird."

"Wow, shortest sentence you've said all evening."

"Never you mind my eloquence. Ah, it doesn't matter anyway. Sometimes the things you badly want to say cannot be put into words at all."

"Don't I know it."

"You know what?"

"What?"

"Maybe you are the Earth. And maybe I am the sky."

"What're you sayin', that I'm round, have an unreachable core and that I'm a fricken' mother?"

"Wow. That was deep, I'm impressed. Well, my favorite color is blue, like your eyes. But seriously, think about it."

"I seriously think there's a reason them Greeks decided the Earth was a chic and the Sky was a dude." 

"Haha, sure. But the story is the same. No matter how much we stare at each other, love each other, we can never touch."

"And if we ever do, we'd have to break the rules of fricken' society, and that behavior ain't too acceptable 'round here."

"Exactly. But I promise we'll be able to, someday. Good behavior, remember?"

"Aw, if this glass weren't here I would kiss you."

"Me too..."

"Woah, hey it's all right, don't cry. Good behavior, you said. The guards think I'm an angel, I'll get out early for sure."

"You promise?"

"Yeah. I cross my heart and hope to become a gigantic floating ball of dirt, or else you ain't the sky I look to in my dreams."

"Oh, God, I always think to myself how I manage to leave you after only five minutes chatting on the phone."

"You don't. Your spirit is here with me, at least part of it, all the time."

"How do you know that?"

"Because it's how I manage to survive watching you leave."

"Oh..."

"I love you, my sky."

"I love you more."

About the Author: Joystone
You laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at you because you're all the same. -Jonathan Davis