My Backpack

You were there the night before the first day of school when I checked you thirteen times to make sure I had everything.

You were there waiting at home, almost mockingly, when I tried out a tote bag for a day and was reminded why free people bags are free with purchase, after the mesh gave out.

You were there with your left side pocket filled with a snack instead of a script at a hectic musical rehearsal.

You were there holding an essay, I was so proud of that I just needed to keep between me and you before I got partner feedback on it.

You were there carrying extra pencils I decided to pack just in case anyone had forgotten one.

You were there with tissues when I couldn’t get to the classroom box by the window fast enough during spring allergies.

You were there when I needed something to lean on after a long French class, and an even longer homework assignment ahead.

I have pushed you in lockers, filled you up so much your zippers wouldn't close and hid you when I overcompensated with materials on a standardized test day, that I actually was doing on a computer.

But also…

You were on top of a hay bail when I put my hands up roller coaster style on a tractor ride at a windy farm class field trip last fall.

And.

You were in a car trunk when I had to eat an ice cream cone at top speed before it melted after a series of aesthetic shots by the beach with a friend.

You are a constant.

If you were any other style, kind or make I could never have had all the memories, support and comfort I have gotten from you.

miravt

More by miravt

• Waiting

Wondering if too much of my happiness is in your hands.

Answering the phone eagerly only to hear the yapping of telemarketers.

Interesting, how you didn't call.

Tidying the entryway. 

• It's Not You Until It Is

It's not you until it is. 

It's not you until you decide to text back. 

Till you say yes when you mean no. 

Till it's passed midnight. 

Till all of your friends have left.