Workshop > Tough Question

Tough Question

Occasionally, you may get a couple of curveball questions thrown your way. Honestly, even pretty innocuous questions can come across as being confusingly difficult in the heat of the moment. Just remember, the interviewer just wants to get to know you, and figure out if you’re a good fit. If you’re at an interview, they are already considering hiring you, so you don’t have to try to “prove yourself” with every answer. Just be as honest and confident as you can.

Some common questions you may face are:
  • Why would you be a good fit for this company/organization/job?
  • What do you want to gain from the experience of working here?
  • Where do you see yourself in five/ten years?
  • What do you want to accomplish in this role?
  • What is your biggest success? Failure?

Each of those questions serves a similar purpose: to understand what drives you.  Most job interviews are pretty straight-forward. For the most part, interviewers aren’t trying to trick you; they aren’t trying to see if you’re good at riddles; they aren’t even trying to gauge how “smart” you are. They want to know what motivates you, and if you have any real desire to work the job they’re offering. They’re looking for a good attitude, evidence that you care about the job, and to see if you’d be a good fit with the culture and mission of the organization. So answer their questions honestly, relate your answers to the job you’re interviewing for, and be upbeat and positive.

Pick 3 of the questions above, and write your answers as a response to this XP.

BONUS: Record yourself delivering your answers out loud, so you can hear how you sound.

Feedback: Respond to at least one other XP response with a follow-up question or two. Was there more information you want to know? Did the answer they gave make you think of another question, or pique your interest in their response? Do you need clarification?