Beware

DISCLAIMER: This text may include sensitive topics such as violence, crime, and blood. If you find any of these disturbing, please click out of this. Thank you!

Walls have ears, doors have eyes. Trees have voices, beasts tell lies. Beware the rain, beware the snow, beware the man you think you know. 

Harper remembered the words that her mother used to say to her every night before bed. She never knew what it meant, but never questioned it either. What did she mean, “Beware the man you think you know,”? If she truly believed she knew someone, there wasn’t any point in being cautious around them, right? She shook her head. That was in the past. Now, as her 19th birthday was around the corner, there was no need for contemplating the silly sayings she heard in her childhood. But as she stepped off the bus, the words still didn’t leave her brain. Heaving a sigh, she started the long walk to the local McDonald’s. She didn’t want to be late again, or else she would be fired. 
 As soon as she walked into the restaurant, Harper knew she was in trouble. Her boss, Cedrick, was standing at the desk, arms folded. 

“Harper Wilson. This is the 12th time you’ve been late-”

“I-I’m sorry, Cedrick! Listen,” Harper interrupted, as her voice grew into a plea. 

“I’m begging you. This job is all I have.” 

Cedrick’s eyes narrowed, as if he didn’t understand her. 

“Give me one good reason I shouldn’t fire you,” Cedrick gruffed. His gravelly voice boomed through the room and rang in Harper’s ears. 

The money she made from her job was the only way she could support herself, and she couldn’t let a strict boss ruin her job. Her heartbeat quickened as she tried to say something, but all that came out was a weak croak as her mouth went dry. 

“I already have a replacement employee. She has been filling your missed shifts for the past week.”

As soon as Cedrick said this, Harper knew what was coming. Her face burned as she frantically tried to think of something to say. But before she could utter a word, the thing she dreaded happened. 
Harper saw his lips moving into the words. She saw his finger point towards the door. What she didn’t realize was when her voice rose to a yell and began cursing at Cedrick. She didn’t realize when her arms wildly swung at him. She didn’t realize when her own nails were clawing into his face and leaving long, red marks.

And she definitely didn’t notice when Cedrick pressed the 3 buttons on the telephone.

Harper had always been a goody-two shoes. Quiet, composed, and constantly paying attention in class. But now, as her sneakers slapped against the pavement, she was the complete opposite. Running as fast as her legs could carry her, she weaved in and out of the many alleys in the city. Street after street, block after block she ran, until her legs were so numb they were working on their own. Her throat was dry and her lungs were screaming for help, but the ringing sirens and shouting kept her going. 

Just keep running, she thought to herself. You’ll lose them eventually. 

But she never did. After what seemed like hours, her lungs were just about ready to collapse and each breath stung as she gasped for air. Crouching behind a dumpster in an open field, she tried to control her breathing. The sirens were coming closer and closer. Harper knew she was doomed. Footsteps approached. Flashing lights came into view and the sirens drowned Harper as her head spun. The only things Harper could hear was her own blood pounding in her head and the wailing of the sirens. Barely conscious, it was all she could do to not pass out. 
Suddenly, a voice came from a few yards away. 

“Found her. Get the cuffs. Make sure she doesn’t get away.”

Harper knew what was about to happen.

A strong arm quickly pulled her up. Unable to use her legs, she hung there limpy by the arm. 

“Just take me to jail already,” Harper croaked, her words slurring together.

She expected to hear, “You have the right to remain silent.”

But a hushed voice whispered back instead.
“Shut up and get inside, sweetheart. They’re coming.” 

Suddenly, as if shocked by an electric wave, Harper snapped back to consciousness and looked up. There, lifting her by the arms, was a man wearing a suit and tie. Without questioning anything, Harper sprung into action and leaped inside a circus tent, twisting free from the man’s hold. She ran all the way to the other side of the tent and hid behind a large container with the letters C.B. written on the side. The man who helped her quickly appeared and took something out of his pocket. Harper tried to focus, but her burst of consciousness wore off and her vision blurred again. 

Is that a syringe? She thought. How strange.

A sharp pain rippled through her arm. As if being flung into a deep abyss of void, Harper’s muscles relaxed and her eyelids slowly drooped.

When she awoke, Harper was tied loosely to a chair with a soft rope. She tried to look around, but the room was completely dark. She heard footsteps pacing back and forth behind her. 

“Hello?” She croaked, surprised by the raspy voice that was her own. The footsteps stopped. 

“It’s been so long, darling.” A smooth, deep voice boomed behind her. “Don’t you miss me?”

“Who are you, and what are you doing to me?” Harper asked, suddenly scared. Why was she tied up in a dark room? Maybe it would have been better if the police just took her away. Ignoring her question, the voice continued. 

“I’ve been looking for you. It’s a shame you don’t remember who I am.”

A singular yellow light bulb began to flicker in the corner of the room, revealing that it was a restroom. Looking into the mirror, she was startled by her own reflection. She had expected to be a mess, but her thin brown hair was in a neat bun, and her face was apparently washed clean. She was wearing a white jumpsuit with a colorful trim, and over it was a matching striped pair of overalls. 
Harper tried to make out the man behind her, but all she could see was a dark figure who appeared to be wearing a top hat. 
“Answer my question. Who are you, and what are you doing to me?” Harper repeated, more hostile this time. 

Suddenly, a blinding light erupted from the lightbulb and lit the entire room. Flinching in her chair, Harper’s arm found its way out of the rope and instinctively went up to shield her eyes. After regaining her vision, she looked at the man. 

It was her father.

“Dad!” Harper gasped, squirming in her chair. The rope fell limply to the ground and Harper leaped towards her father, jumping into his arms and sobbing. Chuckling, her father returned the embrace. 

“Now you remember,” her father said, pulling away. “I missed you so much, Harper.”

Harper took a deep breath and looked at her father, ignoring the horrible soreness in her limbs. He had changed quite a bit since he divorced her mother, and Harper didn’t know if it was for the better. Her father smelled strongly of perfume and the wrinkles in his face were now deep-set. One thing that didn’t change was his gray eyes, which were still cold and sharp enough to pierce through her. Nonetheless, she still missed him terribly and was ecstatic to see him. Harper’s father stood up and took a handkerchief out of his pocket.

“Now, Harper,” he said, wiping the remaining tears away from her cheeks. “Don’t you think I deserve something in exchange for helping you?”

“Oh yes, definitely,” replied Harper. It was obvious that she owed him something after he saved her like that. 

“Well then,” Harper’s father gripped her shoulder firmly. “Let’s get started, shall we?”

The next few days flew by for Harper. Her father explained that she was to be a clown for his weekly shows, along with one other clown. He always seemed to be in a rush, and he never let her close to the other clown. Nonetheless, everything was new and exciting for Harper. This was, in fact, the best thing that could have happened. Reunion with her father, a new job (not to mention it included overnight stays in the tent), and she even had enough food to sustain herself throughout the days. How could this have gone any better?
On the first show day, Harper got up early and threw on her clothes, excited for her first big day. After all, it was her first chance to prove she was a good daughter. After scarfing down her simple breakfast of eggs and toast, Harper went to her makeup table to begin preparation. 

“Excited for the show?” her father came in, locking the door behind him. “I see you’ve woken up early for it.”

“Oh, I’m beyond excited,” Harper gasped, not bothering to hide her grin. 

“You’ll do just fine. Remember your lines.” her father reminded her firmly. 

“I’ll make you proud, Dad.” Harper assured him. 

Expecting him to leave, Harper turned around and faced the mirror to continue applying her makeup. But from the corner of her eye, she saw that he was still there, standing ominously as if he wasn’t done talking. Looking at his reflection in the mirror, she saw that he was looking directly into her eyes. A shiver rippled through her body as an odd feeling began growing in her gut.

“Dad… why are you still here?” Harper asked quietly. 

“Harper.” her father slowly began walking towards her. Putting down the brush, Harper felt a knot in her stomach. “It’s sir to you.” 

Harper’s heart skipped a beat. Her father’s hostile voice startled her. Something was off, and she knew it. She opened her mouth to say something, but a cold, stiff finger pressed against her lips. 

“I expect nothing but perfection from you. This show is my career, and I don’t want you to ruin it more than your mother already does.” her father paused. 

“If you mess up, there will be consequences.”

With that, Harper’s father swiftly turned and walked out the door, shutting it firmly behind him. Harper was stunned and confused. 

Calling Dad “sir”? Mother ruining his show? I thought they divorced. A chill ran through her spine. Consequences? Where is all of this coming from?

Shaking her head, Harper went back to applying her makeup. She still couldn’t get the odd feeling out of her. She knew something was off, and she didn’t like it. 

Backstage, Harper was nervous. She knew nothing about the show aside from her part, and all of the noise was overwhelming her. She heard singing on the stage, along with the musty smell of animals. But now, there was another smell fuming through the air. Blood. Looking around, Harper tried to locate the source of the awful, pungent stench. Suddenly, a clown burst out from a door she never knew existed. She was obviously hurt, as the smell of blood filled the air as she approached. The makeup couldn’t hide the pain and exhaust in her green eyes as the clown limped towards Harper. As she drew closer and closer, Harper’s eyes widened. 

Mother, she recognized the clown. What happened to you…? 

“Mom!” Harper cried out, reaching for the injured woman. Her mother’s eyes were bloodshot and distant, and thick red blood streamed from her mouth. 

“Walls have ears… doors have eyes, trees have voices… beasts tell lies-” the words spilled out slurred and quiet. But before she could finish, Harper heard her cue. 

“Ladies and gentlemen, a round of applause in welcoming our newest addition to the fun - Clumsy Clown!” 

Taking a deep breath, Harper took one last look at her bloody mother and walked through the velvet curtains.

The stage was divided into two sections - the forest, and an enchanted house. Trees parted for the entrance of Harper as she nervously walked out onto the stage. She had never been to the stage for rehearsal and was overwhelmed by the sheer number of people. It seemed like there were millions of people in the stands watching her, and Harper’s mind went blank. She froze mid-walk.

Harper’s palms became sweaty as they curled up into fists at her side. Panicking, she scanned the stage for her father, finding him at the front. The applause stopped. Harper’s father shot her a look that struck her so hard it felt like she was punched in the gut. Suddenly, she remembered her first line. Attempting to speak, she choked on the lump in her throat. After many awkward coughs, Harper was finally able to begin speaking. Face burning and stuttering through her lines, Harper barely made it through her part before she retreated to the back corner of the stage. She took several deep breaths.
Finally calm enough to assess the situation, she looked around the stage. There were eyes projected onto the door of the enchanted house, and the ears perched themselves on the upper wall. 

Suddenly, it hit her. Walls have ears.. Doors have eyes. Ever since she was a child, her mother had been part of her father’s show. Trees have voices, beasts tell lies… Turning her vision to the other side of the stage, she saw men in tree costumes singing songs while the creatures of the forest popped in with an occasional “That’s right, we’re living the life!”. Harper felt dread creeping into her. All these years, the “silly saying” she thought she’d heard every night was really a cry for help. Everything felt so unreal. Sprinting backstage, she located her mother.

“Mother!” Harper cried. “Mother, I finally got it!” Tears poured from her eyes before she even reached her mother.

“Harper…” her mother whispered weakly. “I knew you would. But you need to get out of here. Your father, he…” 

Harper’s mother stopped, but she didn’t need to say anything more for Harper to understand. 

“Where’s the nearest exit?” Harper asked frantically, eyes darting around the dark tent. But before her mother could answer, she heard her father’s voice booming through the speakers. 

“Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming to our show! We hope you had a fantastic time, and remember to come again next week!”

“Run.” Her mother said firmly, and shoved Harper with the little strength she could muster.

This was when Harper ran like never before. She ran faster than she did when running the track at her school, faster than when she was running from the police. Legs and arms pumping as fast as they would, Harper’s eyes located a mesh door near the back of the carnival tent. But suddenly, everything seemed as if it was happening in slow motion. Harper looked down at her bulky clown shoes and watched them clumsily step on each other. As if flying through the air, her entire body hurled to the ground. The last thing she felt was pain.

When Harper awoke, she was in a dimly lit room, similar to the one she had first been held in, but this time, something was different. There was a hazy light coming from the ceiling, and it lit up a drain grate in the corner. She was tied so tightly to a chair that the blood stopped flowing to her arms and legs. Harper frantically tried to squirm out of her chair, but in doing so she cut and blistered herself from the prickly rope. Leaning her head back, she tried to hold in her tears. Her heartbeat was gaining speed every second and she was sweating so profusely that her jumpsuit was already soaked. Harper’s mind raced as she tried to think of something to do, but did not progress anywhere.

“I expected perfection from you,” 

The voice nearly made her scream. Harper could hear the blood pounding in her head as she tried even harder to pry herself from the chair. She noticed the glass wall next to her, and her father was standing on the other side, hands behind his back. Harper’s face burned with rage and embarrassment as she spewed all kinds of curses at him. 

“Instead, I got a traitor. And you know what traitors are?” Her father continued, ignoring her swearing.

“Let me go.” Harper growled, tears welling up in her eyes. What was going on? Her father had no right to tie her in a chair like that. 
Her father chuckled. 

“Oh honey, traitors are snitches. And you know what snitches get?”

Click.

“Snitches get stitches.”

Suddenly, the ceiling tiles flew open and drops of liquid spewed out of tiny, hidden vents. Harper shrieked in agony as the raindrops touched her skin. Beware the rain, She remembered. This wasn’t just normal rain. It was acid rain. 
Harper’s skin, already cut and blistered from the rope, began to redden and swell. It felt like her entire body was lit aflame, and streams of blood flowed from her mouth as the acid entered her throat. No longer capable of screaming, Harper sat, burning in the acid rain. Her entire body shook from pain and her throat seemed to be disintegrating in the acid. Blood seeped from her exposed skin. Harper’s mind went blank as the only thing she could focus on was pain. Then, as she was just about to lose her consciousness, Harper caught a glimpse of her father with her blurry, bloodshot eyes. 
On the other side of the glass, her father was comfortably on a recliner with a newspaper on his lap. Harper’s own throbbing eyes met with his, and she saw it. She saw the pure satisfaction of seeing her like that. She saw how his eyes were so cold and sharp, yet so angry and wild. 

“You’re insane,” Harper mouthed, as her body twitched and throbbed from pain and anger. Then, she allowed herself to collapse into a drowning darkness as her own salty tears mixed in with the wounds on her face.

“I told you there’d be consequences,” Harper awoke to a voice. “You see, if only you had been smart enough to listen to me. It’s a shame such a pretty girl like you had to go through all of that.” 

Harper, still unable to speak, hissed angrily at her father. She was laying on a soft bed in the same restroom she had first been in. Her body was covered with burns and crusty blood scabs, and she no longer appeared to be human. A nurse entered the room, carrying a tray with soup and saltines. Shooing the nurse away, her father took the tray and offered it to Harper. Furious as she was, she hadn’t eaten in days and was starving. Taking the bowl with her bandage-wrapped hands, she scarfed down the contents, wincing in pain with every swallow. The tasteless broth did nothing but make her hungrier.

“Why don’t you just leave me to die,” Harper mustered a weak whisper, trying to maintain eye contact with her father. Despite her injuries, Harper still wanted to appear strong.
“Oh, isn’t it obvious - I need you!” her father said with a manic chuckle. “Your mother doesn’t have much time left, and she was a pain anyway. I’m glad you came by just in time to replace her.” 
Harper glared at her father, and her entire body began throbbing again. Oh, how she longed to watch him burn in an endless pit of fire. Harper smiled at the thought, but quickly remembered. This was not the time for unrealistic dreams. She needed a way to escape alive with her mother, before time runs out. And as she laid in her bed, she began thinking. She had to find a way to escape in less than a week, as the next show would be soon and her mother was guaranteed to suffer some sort of pain afterwards. 

Beware the snow, Harper remembered. She couldn’t let the snow come. Whatever kind of torture that was, she was sure it would be unimaginable, and her weak mother would never survive it. But in between shows, she would be rehearsing all day and practically locked inside of the tent. Harper was baffled. How could she manage an escape? It seemed impossible.

Then it hit her. During the show. The show was the one time that her father couldn’t pursue them, as that would give away his crimes to all the visitors. But this was a risky job, as the torture came the day right after the show. She knew that her mother didn’t stand much of a chance anymore, as she had been going through this for years upon years. 
But how was she to escape without getting caught? All of the back and side entrances were now locked due to her attempt of escaping after the first show, and Harper definitely couldn’t afford to waste time trying to pick the big locks, as the show was only an hour long. The only convenient exit was the visitors’ entrance, but it was the furthest door away. 
The gears turned in her head as she strained to think of an option. C’mon, Harper, she told herself. Think outside of the box.

Yes. 

That was it. Harper had discovered the foolproof plan. The muscles in her face wouldn’t allow a grin, but inside, she felt as if heavy chains were finally lifted from her shoulders.

As the days progressed, Harper’s skin felt slightly better. She was instructed to apply ointment, and although her skin was still raw and burned, Harper was driven and determined by her plan. She allowed her voice to heal by drinking a concoction that the nurse would give to her, and she tried to limit her voice usage.
 By the time the show was approaching, she felt more ready than ever. Backstage, however, she could tell that her mother felt the complete opposite. It seemed as though no one had treated her at all. Hideous burns streaked with blood were dotted all over her mother’s body, and her body still wobbled and shook. Harper’s heart sank to the bottom of her stomach when she saw her mother’s condition. 

“Your mother doesn’t have much time left, and she was a pain anyway.” 

Harper remembered her father’s words earlier. The reason why no one had treated her mother was because her mother was utterly useless to her father, now that Harper was here to replace her. Harper’s father was going to allow her mother to slowly die from the persistent torture. 

“Mom,” Harper said, trying to keep her voice as small as possible. “Don’t worry, Mom. I’m helping us escape today. Just get through this show, okay?” 

Harper's mother gave a slight nod, but Harper knew she heard nothing. Her mother’s eyes wore a dull, faraway look, and she could barely even stand. Heaving a sigh, Harper looked away and tried to cheer herself up. 

This plan is literally foolproof, she thought to herself. All Mom has to do is cooperate.

That was her sign. Taking in a deep breath, Harper regained her courage and slipped a clown mask onto her mother.

“That’s our cue, Mom. Come with me.” Harper swung one arm around her mother’s shoulders and walked onstage. “This is our time to shine.”

This time, Harper remembered each and every one of her lines. But, as according to her plan, she slowly advanced forwards with each sentence. She reached the front of the stage as soon as she finished her part. The audience erupted with applause and laughter, which made a smooth transition into the music and dancing. Harper shot a glance at her father, and although he was far away, she could sense the fire set ablaze in his cold, grey eyes. As the music continued, Harper dragged her mother with her offstage towards the visitors’ entrance, which was now only a couple meters away. Slowly, however, Harper could feel her mother going limp, and she began to worry. 

“Mom, we’re almost there!” Harper tried to encourage her mother. Pointing at the green grass outside, Harper continued.  “Look, Mom! It’s the world! So much to see, so much to hear… it’s all at our fingertips!” 
Harper’s mother looked up at Harper, tears running down her cheeks. 

“It’s beautiful, Harper,” her mother whispered. “But I’m afraid it’s my time.” She was whispering, but Harper heard every word. It was as if the music had quieted. 

“No, Mom, we’ve got this! We finally get to live a happy life!” Harper could barely see through the tears in her eyes. “Mother… please,”

“Beware the man you think you know, my dear.” her mother replied. “See you on the other side…” 

With that, Harper’s mother relaxed. Her soft green eyes still looked up at Harper while she fell. Collapsing to the ground, Harper’s body heaved with sobs. Grabbing her mother by the shoulders, she shook her in an attempt to revive her mother. Blood erupted from her still-injured throat as each cry brought her closer and closer to choking. 

“I’m sorry I couldn’t save you earlier, Mum…” Harper spoke silently to her mother. “This is all my fault, but you’re in a better place now.” 
Salty tears smeared her face as she choked on the ever-growing lump in her throat. 

Suddenly, as if her mother was speaking to her, a thought struck her hard. 

Beware the man you think you know.

Harper was on a mission, and she was losing time fast. Despite her mother’s unexpected death, this was still no time to be grieving. Jumping back onto her feet, Harper tried to regain her composure and wiped the blood and tears from her face. 

I will do this, Mom. And I will give Dad the punishment he deserves. 

Without looking back, Harper jumped up and worked her sore legs as fast as she could towards a busy street. Only stopping at the curb, she frantically waved down a taxi and hastily threw herself into the backseat. 

“Dial 911. Now.”

Four Months Later

Harper walked out of the mental hospital. She breathed in the smell of crisp leaves and fresh autumn wind. Bouncing down the brick stairs, Harper had never felt lighter in her life. 

It feels so good to finally be free, Harper thought. I’m glad I avenged you, Mom.

Stepping inside her new apartment, Harper set down her bag on a chair and breathed a sigh of relief. Just as she was about to brew a cup of tea, Harper noticed something on her bed. 

Stepping towards it, she first noticed the note written on a yellow post-it. 

You may be smart, but I’m smarter. Watch your back, my dear… 

Harper’s stomach lurched. There was no one else who could have given her this note. Underneath the note was a clown mask - the same one Harper had put on her mother the day she had escaped. Harper’s heartbeat quickened and her hands shook. Images flashed in her head as memories of her past flooded Harper’s brain. Her eyes remained glued to the fancy cursive writing on the note as her head began spinning. 

Harper didn’t notice the buzzing of an electric razor until it stopped. Suddenly, everything that was in her mind vanished as her body tensed up. Whipping around, she came face to face with a cleanly shaved man wearing a clown jumpsuit.

“It’s just you and me now, sweetheart.”

Walls have ears, doors have eyes. 

Trees have voices, beasts tell lies. 

Beware the rain, beware the snow, 

Beware the man you think you know. 

angela

WA

More by angela

• The spectacle of dawn

The drooping forest, a tangled mess –
    A late-night storm had caused it distress.
    The crooked branches, threatening as a spear,
    Each creature in its burrow, hiding in fear. 

The pattering rain mercilessly fell
  • America

America is a melting pot of fondue,
    Made by a self-taught cook.
    How many types of cheese in it?
    Depends on how you look.
    The unique flavors are all diverse
    Each with its own taste.
    Just like in America you are welcome,
  • Tornado

Nature casts her eyes upon a land in which she flourished,
    But to her dismay, the land is shriveled and malnourished.
    The few trees that are left cry out to her in pain