The thing about cures

I was sitting in chemistry class zoning out once again. I refocused my eyes on the board and tried to pay attention. I looked over at the clock and saw that we had twenty five more minutes of class. I went to bed late last night which proved to be a bad idea today. This class was so boring that no matter what I did I couldn’t pay attention. I reached into my bag and started looking around for the small bottle my mom gave me. She said I would need it if class ever got boring. I finally found it. 

I turned it over to see what the directions were but they weren’t there. Instead there was a note taped to it from my mom. It reads...Only use it if you have to because it doesn’t last long.

I took the small cap off and drank the bottle. In less than five minutes it started paying attention and I wasn’t bored at all. The rest of the day went smooth and I enjoyed every class. I wasn’t even bored in math which I hate even more than chemistry. 

When I got home I asked my mom what was in the bottle. She put water with lemon and mint in it. When I asked how that made me focused and less bored she said that's what the note was for. She told me that when I read the note my brain would trick me into thinking I wasn’t bored even though I could have been. So really then there was and never would be a cure for boredom.  

nfarnham

More by nfarnham

• Happiness

Happiness is….

The feeling of relief when you’ve completed all of the tasks for the day, 

The breeze on your face while walking on the beach with the sky-colored gray. 
  • Friends...

Friends can be both delight and pain at the same time. Being friends with someone brings good and bad memories and no relationship with anyone can be all good and all bad.
  • The Problem

“Where did you put the money??? The guy will be here any minute now and we can’t miss this payment!” I screeched at Chole.