Young Writers Project

express yourself

Daily Challenges: A new idea to explore and create each day. Use sound and photos, too!

THANK YOU for your submissions to this challenge! Keep them coming! Because 'the fierce urgency of now' continues every day, we want to hear your voices!

Check out the culminating event, where people will read their pieces live!

We've published some of our favorites in The Voice.
More will be published in coming issues, so keep writing!

What needs action now? This writing challenge is inspired by the words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who denounced the Vietnam War in a powerful speech on April 4, 1967:
  • We are now faced with the fact that tomorrow is today. We are confronted with the fierce urgency of now. In this unfolding conundrum of life and history, there is such a thing as being too late.
This was an unpopular position at the time, but it opened an intense dialogue on the disparity of African-Americans serving and dying in that war. It was part of what gave impetus to the rising public opposition to the war that resulted, six years later, with its end. In his speech, King called on citizens -- much as President Obama did before leaving office -- to take action; and King said the time for that action is NOW.

As you think of his words, as you look around at your own world today, what issues do you think require immediate action? Why? Submit original words, images, sound and/or video.​