The Waterfall

It doesn’t hit me until I make it to the top. The view is extraordinary, the waves crashing up against the rocks and spraying me in the face. The sky’s a deep blue and the clouds look like cotton candy. I find myself reaching up as if I could eat it. And the waterfall… it’s breathtaking. Like millions of diamonds sparkling in the sunlight. It’s so loud that I can barely hear myself think, but at the same time it’s one of the most peaceful experiences I’ve ever had. There’s something about it that seems magical. 
But I didn’t come up here to gawk at the view. I take a deep breath in and out. In and out. I can do this. I have to do this. I walk over to the edge of the waterfall and look down. And regret it. Although it’s not that long of a way down, it still looks scary. My head spins and I stumble and almost fall over the edge. Almost. 
I catch myself and fall on the dirt. Why did I take this stupid dare? Well, I guess it doesn’t matter anymore, I silently chide myself. I have to do it. 
You will be okay. You will be okay… It’s a never-ending chant that keeps playing over and over in my head. I try to believe it, try to convince myself. So many people have jumped before, and none of them have gotten hurt. I guess that thought satisfies me because somehow I’m standing up over the edge. 
Adrenaline kicks in. I can do it. It’s at that moment that I feel like I really can do it. I’m not sure what it is but I take it. The leaves whisper in the wind, Do it, I believe in you. 
I peer over the edge. The water doesn’t look that scary anymore. It just looks beautiful in this sunlight. I can feel it calling to me, asking me to come. 
I take one final deep breath. And jump.

Penelope

More by Penelope