About Young Writers Project

With generous support from the Vermont Business Roundtable, Young Writers Project began its work in 2006 -- to help young people become better writers and to encourage them to experience the value of writing -- and the power of their own voice.
What We Do
Young Writers Project is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to helping youths build the confidence and communication skills needed to succeed in school, college, the workplace and beyond. Our work is rooted in a diverse online community -- youngwritersproject.org -- an environment defined by respect, quality and innovation where young people learn from their differences and gain skills from peers, mentors and experts. Young Writers Project offers a variety of free resources to teachers and students, including our Weekly Writing Challenges; Writing on the Roof writing workshops at our Burlington, VT location, 47 Maple Street; Voices for Change open mic events with our partner, Burlington City Arts; and our Community Journalism Project: writing challenges, workshops, and events focused on young people telling their stories and engaging in the craft of journalism, photojournalism, opninon writing and more -- for publication with our professional media partners. 

We work in partnership with you

Teacher Resources
Our free resources for students and teachers extends writing, exploring, learning beyond the classroom. Young Writers Project's programs welcome any of your students -- from anywhere -- in conjunction with school or not.

A FREE ACCOUNT on youngwritersproject.org allows teachers to submit student writing to be considered for publication by YWP. So much of the writing that is generated in school never sees an audience. Young Writers Project's platform makes it safe and easy for teachers to share students' work with the wider world. Create an account by clicking here.
We also encourage teachers -- particularly those teaching grades 7-12 -- to have their students sign up for an account and post work done inside or outside class. Use the YWP community to help engage your students in all types of writing. For more information on what the site has to offer, check out this page.

WEEKLY WRITING CHALLENGES: Try out our weekly writing challenges. They are original -- conceived by YWP writers, mentors, interns and staff -- and they are inspiring!  You are welcome to use any and all that you want. You can submit the responses to the challenges on your own blog -- or even better, have your students sign up for their own accounts on YWP and they can submit on their own.

THE ONLINE COMMUNITY: youngwritersproject.org is free, secure and open to any youth, anywhere. It has over 4,500 active members from all over the U.S. and the world. Youths can use YWP prompts to generate writing ideas, post and edit original content, receive peer and mentor feedback, read and comment on other users' posts and submit work to be considered for publication to external audiences. Students ages 13 and up can simply create accounts and get started. Those under 13 will need a parent or guardian to sign a permission form before we can approve their account.

YWP EVENTS & WORKSHOPS: Through the school year, YWP offers Saturday morning Writing on the Roof workshops with professional writers, journalists, photographers, and more; Voices for Change open mic nights at Burlington City Arts; and online workshops. Watch the site for updates. ALL ARE FREE, THANKS TO OUR AMAZING DONORS! 

PUBLICATIONS are the result of YWP writers' and artists' hard work! Anything posted anywhere on the site by anyone - unless otherwise indicated - is eligible to be selected for publication in YWP's premiere digital magazine, The Voice, our annual anthology, or by YWP's media partners. Teachers are welcome to direct their students to post work for consideration or teachers can create accounts and submit work on their students' behalf.