About Young Writers Project

Since its founding in 2006 with generous support from the Vermont Business Roundtable, Young Writers Project has provided professional development and support to over 2,000 educators to help make their jobs easier, more fun and more effective. From Master's-level professional development courses to teacher workshops, from digital classroom platforms and supporting content to in-class residencies, YWP has been helping and learning for over 12 years. YWP has developed a slate of services and resources to offer you in your classroom -- most are free.
Mission

Young Writers Project is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to helping youths build the confidence and communication skills needed to succeed in school, college, the workplace and beyond. Our work is rooted in a diverse online community -- youngwritersproject.org -- an environment defined by respect, quality and innovation where young people learn from their differences and gain skills from peers, mentors and experts.

Diversity and Inclusion

Young Writers Project seeks to make its organization and all its programs welcoming and safe to all youths. Through a diverse staff and intentional partnerships, YWP builds a vibrant diversity within its online community -- youngwritersproject.org -- to allow its members to learn from their differences in ethnicity, geography, economics and opportunity. Our forum provides a practical way for youths to gain cultural literacy, build confidence in communication, find voice and develop aspirations.

Programs and Services

Young Writers Project offers a variety of free resources and affordable services give teachers the ability to whip up our recipe for writing excellence - community, learning and audience - in their own classrooms.
The Fun Writing Project

YWP has developed an easy-to-use, intuitive and private online space for a teacher to use to help their students write more. It looks and feels just like this site and allows students to respond to prompts or create their own work, to see each other's work and to learn how to observe and offer feedback on their classmates' work. When they learn how to do this in a way that is well-received, the student gains complex literacies and skills.

We call it the Fun Project because that's what students tell us it is. We encourage teachers to use the platform for practice writing, for quick writes, for idea-storming -- and for commenting. It is so important for students to learn to find and develop their own ideas, ideas theiy can grow more excited about. And, of course, it's important that they practice. We call it the Fun Project because a fifth grader in Newark, NJ, made the suggestion. After a full day of storytelling on the site with 16 classmates and seven teachers (who fully participated as "students," he said we should change our name.

The service can be seen here: https://ywpvt.org. We offer it for a nominal fee -- $250 per teacher -- and it includes our technical and content support throughout the year. Got a problem? Call us. Want an idea? Get in touch. There's a bonus, too:

MY COMMUNITY STORY  represents our belief that all good writing should center on storytelling. So this site offers you a host of challenges and workshop ideas for fostering storytelling in your classroom -- whether you use our platform or not. If you do use our platform, using these ideas directly on your site -- with the ability to edit them as you see fit -- is easy as dirt.

YWP CHALLENGES YWP is constantly creating new challenges -- what we call writing "prompts" -- on youngwritersproject.org; most have been conceived by young people. You are welcome to use any and all that you want. If you have our platform, it'll be easy for you to go into https://youngwritersproject.org and snag the challenges you want to us and import them directly to your site.

To learn more, go to https://ywpvt.org. If the outside interests you, contact us  for a guest login so you can see it and test it out. 
At $20 a month this is a remarkable value that has been shown to increase students' production, enjoyment and performance. 

Teacher Resources

Our free teacher resources help educators extend writing education beyond the classroom walls.

A FREE ACCOUNT on youngwritersproject.org allows teachers to submit student writing to be considered for publication by YWP. So much of the writing that is generated in school never sees an audience. Young Writers Project's platform makes it safe and easy for teachers to share students' work with the wider world. Create an account by clicking here.

We also encourage teachers -- particularly those teaching grades 7-12 -- to have their students sign up for an account and post work done inside or outside class. Use the YWP community to help engage your students in all types of writing. Extend your classroom!

CHALLENGES - Young Writers Project's fresh, extensive and ever-growing collection of writing ideas - can be used to spark students' imagination during free-write periods. Most of these challenges have been conceived and vetted by youths. In September and January, YWP sends to teachers a pdf of our special weekly challenges -- the ones we know will spark ideas -- to use in your classroom. We can send them to you if you are on our mailing list. Email Susan Reid if you wish to be included.

YWP SUPPORT STAFF can answer questions and give you advice about how to create a writing routine in your classroom that elicits cheers rather than groans from your students. Contact Geoffrey Gevalt if interested.

For more information on what the site has to offer kids, check out this page.

Youth Programs

Young Writers Project's programs welcome any of your students -- from anywhere -- in conjunction with school or not.

THE ONLINE COMMUNITY at youngwritersproject.org is free, secure and open to any youth, anywhere. It has over 3,000 active members from all over the U.S. and world. Youths can use YWP prompts to generate writing ideas, post and edit original content, receive peer and mentor feedback, read and comment on other users' posts and submit work to be considered for publication to external audiences. Students ages 13 and up can simply create accounts and get started. Those under 13 will need a permission form before we can approve them.

YWP ACADEMY this new area of youngwritersproject.org entirely devoted to interactive, 30-day online workshops. Workshops are led by the best artists we can find and are broken down into short, tangible steps where writers learn through creation and commenting. Workshops cover aspects of craft, different forms and genres, issue and research-based writing and multimedia creation. Youths are welcome to seek credit for their work from their schools or to download their finished work to their school portfolios.

The YWP Academy is free to individual members of the community. However, we ask that if schools wish to bring a group of students to the service, that it donate to YWP. Please contact Geoffrey Gevalt at 802-324-9537 to figure out how many students will access the content and what your school can afford as a donation.

PUBLICATIONS are the result of writers' hard work! Anything posted anywhere on the site by anyone - unless otherwise indicated - is eligible to be selected for publication in YWPs premiere digital magazine, The Voice, or by YWP's print, digital and broadcast media partners. Teachers are welcome to direct their students to post work for consideration or teachers can create accounts and submit work on their students' behalf.

WORKSHOPS, CONFERENCES & CAMPS allow youths to learn skills alongside other kids who share their interests. The schedule of workshops, conferences and camps varies throughout the year. Check out our calendar to see what's coming up next, and sign up for our newsletter (email Susan Reid) to have upcoming event notices sent to your inbox! YWP's FALL CELEBRATION of WRITING 2017 will take place Saturday, Nov. 11 at Vermont College of Fine Arts in Montpelier

OPEN MICS & LIVE READINGS put young writers face-to-face with supportive, enthusiastic audiences. Most are also streamed live so that youths and audiences can participate remotely. Check out our calendar to see what's coming up next, and sign up for our newsletter (email Susan Reid) to have upcoming event notices sent to your inbox!