Young Writers Project is a place to find and share your voice. It's a website. It's a community. It's a safe and respectful collection of 4,000+ storytellers -- writers, photographers, artists and musicians. Most YWPers are teens (but those under 13 are welcome, with parental permission). On youngwritersproject.org, you have your own space to create whatever you like -- a blog where you can write to YWP's challenges or respond to your own muse, and experiment with sound and images. YWP offers writing challenges, live workshops and events, our deep-dive Academy, and publication of your best work.

All the Details

The Community
Are you a teen? Do you like to write? Do you not like to write and are struggling in school? You are welcome here. This community helps you gain confidence, skills and voice. Sign up for a free account. Once approved, you can post and revise words, add images, sound and video; receive feedback from other community members and YWP mentors; read and comment on others' work; and find writing ideas whenever you need them. There's just one rule: Be respectful.

Challenges

Challenges are writing prompts designed to spark ideas. We have daily and weekly challenges. We also have special challenges (often with a theme or a prize, in collaboration with one of our partners, such as Winter Tales with the Flynn Theatre in Burlington.) We also hold Vermont Writes Day every winter, a day when hundreds (and hundreds!) of people in Vermont (and some in neighboring New Hampshire) stop what they're doing for just 7 minutes to write to 7 special YWP challenges. Very cool! 
YWP Academy

Would you believe us if we told you that you can learn how to write better, tell better stories, take better photos or knock out your college essay at your own pace in a few easy steps? YWP Academy is an awesome corner of youngwritersproject.org where you can do just that!

Become a member - it's FREE (though we're always grateful for donations). Workshops are broken down into small, easy-to-follow steps where you learn by creating work and exchanging comments with peers and mentors. You will be able to take online workshops from the best instructors we can find in a broad range of topics - aspects of craft, different forms and genres, issue- and research-based writing, multimedia creation - and we're always coming up with new ones. If you are a teacher or school with a group using the Academy, YWP asks for your support by making a donation. Please contact Geoffrey Gevalt at 802-324-9537.
Gain Audience

Getting recognition for your best work is the greatest feeling in the world. It will also make you want to write even more, which is why Young Writers Project publishes best work in our digital magazine, The Voice, and works with external print, digital and broadcast media partners to give you audience. Anything in any medium posted anywhere on our site by anyone is eligible to be selected for publication (unless you choose otherwise). 

Workshops & Writing Conferences
Workshops and fall and winter writing conferences give you a chance to learn something new in person alongside other youths who share your interests! Our schedule varies throughout the year. Check out our events calendar to see what's coming up next!

Open Mics and Live Readings
Open mics and live readings give you a chance to present your work to real, live, supportive and enthusiastic audiences. Most are also streamed live so that presenters and audiences can participate remotely. Check out our calendar and the main page of our site for these events.