Animal_Lover's picture

Real Beauty

Beauty. Something everyone wants, something everyone tells themselves they don't have. Except, whether we realize it or not, we are all born with it. Everyone has their own versions of it, what they think it is. And everyone's ideas have one thing in common: appearance. Why does everyone think that what we look like matters? It doesn't. Not at all. And it's not even merely related to real beauty. 

Real beauty is our talents. It's the things we spend hours working at, so that we can show everyone what we are really made of. The passion we put forward is impressive, and the end result is more than beautiful. Those things become part of us. And to me, that is real beauty.

Real beauty is our friends. The realtionships we have with others will never be forgotten. These people influence us every day. We confide in them, we laugh with them, we even fight with them occasionally. But this circle of friends we have created will be with us in the darkest of hours, and that's a really beautiful thing.

Real beauty is the way we pick ourselves up. When we get knocked over, when it seems that the whole world is against us, we can get up and try again. And again. And again. That shimmer of perserverance, that hope burning inside all of us, is real beauty. 

Real beauty is the way we treat others. You know someone is beautiful when you see them smile at a stranger, when you see them stop to help someone. When the only thing they seem to want is to make someone else's day. How can that not be real beauty?

Beautiful is often used as an adjective to describe a person and their looks. But I will no longer use it in this way. It doesn't really mean that. Next time you see someone, tell them their beautiful. But tell them why. Tell them how talented, smart, and kind they are. Tell them how happy you are to know them. Because purely beautiful people are hard to find. 
Animal_Lover's picture
About the Author: Animal_Lover
Write until it becomes as natural as breathing. Write until not writing makes you anxious.