express yourself

Vermont Writes Day -- WOW!

Young Writers, you outdid yourselves! On Feb. 10 -- Vermont Writes Day 2017 -- a total of 1,500 youths posted here and on vermontwritesday.org. Wow. We've heard that at least 49 schools participated in full (go here and if you don't see your school, comment or send an email) and we had some posts from New Hampshire and beyond!

The posts were funny, weird, powerful, interesting, entertaining. We will be publishing a new issue of The Voice on Feb. 21 with some of the best posts of the day!
Thanks to all who participated -- youths, teachers, administrators, stray adults. You have proven, once again, the importance of writing. Thanks, too, to the teachers who sent us the pictures above, in order, from Edmunds Middle, Jericho Elementary, Neshobe, Camels Hump (4) and Colchester Middle School (and a few from the Sound Check! event).

And thanks, too, to Lily, Zack, and Doreen at Burlington City Arts who co-sponsored SOUND CHECK at the City Arts building on Friday night as the culminating event. Sixty+ adults and kids wrote for seven minutes and then 20 people shared their work, including 14 youths who had rehearsed and performed in blistering, powerful fashion.

Some fantastic pieces of work were presented. Check it out.

A big thanks to Sarah Gliech, who is moving on to a new job, for all that she did to make this night -- and so many events and projects and parts of YWP over the last three years -- such a joy. We shall miss her -- though she will be staying on as a Mentor. Another cause for celebration.