Philosopher prompt

I chose from the list the topic of should we fear death. The answer I reached was that we should only fear death enough to keep us alive. Because we as people vary in our fears, my answer cant be direct. There must be a healthy balance between fear and its opposite. This balance is necessary so that we don't act recklessly and also don't live in constant anxiety as if we might as well be dead. Thus the answer to should we fear death is nuanced, a straight answer would be flawed. I resolve that my response to this is that we should fear harm, not death. While death itself is inevitable, in our culture we disregard it. It's painted in our culture but also rather in our time as the worst of all things. Assuming such is false as it happens to everyone and is essential to life. While people now fear death above all else, this wasn't always the case. Not too long ago, the world was more in touch with their mortality, Virtues as honour, and heritage meant more than life itself. In the medieval mind, loyalty cost more than life, and betrayal was the worst of any crimes. This leads to a widely moral people despite the great injustices of their age. When culture turns as ours seems to have towards self-preservation as a central idea we lose a great virtue that made us great.

DanielMarkwood

More by DanielMarkwood