A Day In Winter

It was one chilly winter morning up in Vermont. Maya, an eight year old girl, was still soundly asleep in bed until her mother, Amanda, came into her room after getting a phone call from Maya’s school. Maya woke up all sleepy and alarmed, wondering why her mom had woken her up at six in the morning. Amanda told Maya, that there wasn’t school that day and that it was a snow day. Maya's sleepiness somehow disappeared as she sprung out of her bed to her window. As Maya reached her window, she saw snow. Lots of snow. About like three inches already. She also saw snow plowers coming down her street and her neighbors shoveling the snow on their driveways trying to get out to go to their work. Maya started running around her room and started to sing. Amanda had to step in to tell Maya to calm down. Amanda also told Maya to try and go back to sleep since it was early. Maya refused to go back to sleep until Amanda told her when she wakes up, that’s when all of the fun can happen. Such as, watching movies, drinking hot chocolate, playing in the snow, building a snowman, snowball fights, and more. Maya was too excited but she eventually fell asleep. 

Maya had woken up after falling back asleep. It was about nine o’clock. When she woke up, she had remembered what her mom said. She immediately got it, put on her bunny slippers, and raced downstairs in her pajamas still. Amanda was at the kitchen table having her morning coffee. Maya ran to her begging her to go outside already. Amanda told her no and that Maya had to eat first. After she ate, she begged to go out again and Amanda said yes. They went to the closet where all of their winter stuff was. All of the jackets, snow pants, snow boots, mittens, scarfs, etc. Maya found her stuff. Her bright pink snow pants, her jacket, her purple hat, her white mittens, and her scarf. She quickly put them on and sprinted outside without her mom. Once she got out there, she jumped right into the snow. She was almost buried in the snow. 

Maya had been playing outside in the snow for a while now. Her friend from across the street had come over with her dad by then. They built a snowman together, made snow angels, and built a fort. When they were finally exhausted from playing in the snow, Maya wanted to go back inside where she could rest and where there was heat. Amanda also invited Maya’s friend across the street and her dad to come into their house. She told them that she was going to make hot chocolate to warm ourselves up. The hot chocolate that has whipped cream, marshmallows, candy cane, and peppermint of course. Maya and her friend were snuggled up on the couch already under all of the blankets. Amanda had put on a movie for them to watch. The hot chocolate was done. The hot chocolate definitely warmed all of them up. Warming their hands up most definitely. The sweetness to it makes a great taste. Just mhm yummy. 

By eight o’clock at night, Maya’s friend and her dad had left to go back home and it was time for Maya to get ready for bed. Taking a warm shower, getting fresh clean pajamas, brushing her teeth and heading to bed, waiting for Amanda to come up to read to her. But today was different. Today, she didn’t wait for her mom to come up and read. She already fell asleep. She must be tired from the snow day she had today. It must have been a fun day for Maya. A good fun day in the winter.

eqiu27

More by eqiu27

• Guardian

(This is a story about a girl who got saved by this mystical thing.) It is another day of just sitting in front of a computer all day, just to listen to my teachers talk about useless stuff and then have them assign so much hard work to do.
  • Grateful

Who am I grateful for? Well, there are a lot of people I am grateful for, but I am grateful for my family and friends the most. My family has been there for me since day one. From the day when I was born to this day.
  • Relocated

Wow. Just like that. Today is the last day on this planet called Earth before I get relocated to a space colony. So, what exactly am I going to do today? Well, I am obviously going to spend every moment I can take in today.