21haze_f's picture

Teasing Lines of Neon Blue, Pink and Green

Heartache ripped through her youthful chest as she staggered down the streets. Before her tear-rimmed emerald green eyes she only perceived blurry lines of neon blue, pink and green. The scent of oil and gas filled her nostrils, and she gagged. Her breaths were unsteady, and she felt the need to creep out of her skin, slither down into the ground. She felt the kind of despair that carves and seeps into bone, rather than exploding into a cascade of tears. But as she shifted her eyeballs to the side of her to face the vast, fuzzy foundation surrounding her, they became glazed with glassy layers of liquid. She blinked, and they slipped. She bit her bottom lip in an attempt to unexpose her emotions: her lungs were filled with wails that craved to escape, her eyes charged with tears which were only waiting for the trigger to be pulled. Yet she dragged her open, fragile heart along behind her and she kept her back hunched: invisible to the lingering eyes in the corners and shadows. The lines of the neon colors now seemed to dance around her, teasing her that she couldn't do the same. She thrust her fists up in distress, daring them to come a little closer. Ignoring her, they whirled away. She was blinded by the train light as she ambled down the platform. Her body was now made into a ball: her chest was resting on her knees, and her heels were firmly placed on the ground, her arms flung around herself and under her knees. Gradually, she lifted her head up, and peeked through the curtains she had formed in front of her profile. Her black hair flew around her, nails caressing her face as the train drew closer. Wind ploughed at her at her, causing the liquid in her eyes to spill over the edges that kept them imprisoned. Thoughts swirled around her mind, and seemed to freeze as she thought: There are worse things in life.
          Seconds later, she had extended her muscles and bones, and her dizzy mind was focused on one thing: how fast would the train reach her?