100 years from now

In 100 years, when my future children have children, I hope that they can grow up in a world that is kinder than this one.

I don't mean kinder as in softer or less hard working, I mean kinder as in more understanding, less close minded, and more open to change. 

I hope that they can grow up in a world that is not plagued by hate, frustration, violence, and despair. 

I hope that communities are more diverse by then in every way possible, and that they're less segregated.

I close my eyes and I try to dream of a world for them, in which our differences do not so often divide us as a human race.

A world where we listen to each other, where we are constantly trying to do right by each other and bridge the gaps created by history.

A world where it doesn't matter so much what color skin you have, or whether you're born a boy or a girl.

A world where love can just be seen as love, no matter who it's between.

A world in which the policing system in this country as a whole truly protects all Americans, not just those with white skin.

A world in which the American Dream is truly an equal  possibility for everyone who lives in this country.

A world where social class doesn't divide us so intensely.

I hope that by then, once 100 years have passed, that this world has truly changed for the better in a dramatic way.

I hope that our earth isn't so polluted by then that my grandbabies will never know what it's like to play in the snow.

I pray that by then we will have found a solution to climate change.

I pray that by then there will truly be more equality in this country, and in this world.

makingwaves

YWP Alumni

More by makingwaves