Recipe of life

A story. Another’s story. Your story. Is there any point to this? Once upon a time does not cut it when it comes to the here and now. Once upon a time is for those who do not tell the truth. 

Truth

Your truth. Another’s truth. Aren’t they all just stories? A story is you, you are the story, but this time with self-renovation. No one has to know where you end and the story begins; that is saved for midnight. Midnight is time for spinning yarns, but twilight’s meant for weaving.  

Once upon a time, I saved the world. 

That isn’t going to cut it.

Once upon a time. 

Where do you go from there? Set the scene. State the characters. Always start with the truth? Add knights here, some dragons there, and sprinkle in the starlight. What’s a good story anyways without the lighting of the moon? Try it now again.

Once upon a time, under the creamy haze of night, a dragon took to the sky. With mounting dread, the bravest knights donned their armor, grabbed their weapons, and climbed upon their steeds. They set out into the vast unknown with valor in their hearts but sweat upon their brow. 

Hold on. Something is missing. You’ve somehow forgotten yourself. If you’re telling a truth wrapped up in a story, you are pretty crucial. Find the best place, sneak your way in, and none will be the wiser. Are you the dragon, the vicious but cunning, doomed before it’s begun? Or are you the knight, clad all in bright shining, but chained to mindless fighting?

How did it go? Was the audience pleased?

Now twilight is over. Midnight has come. Time to face yourself. Now you’ve discovered that while you were writing, your memory faded to gray. What was the truth, and what was the story? All of it now is you.

MargaretE.

More by MargaretE.

• Restless Energy

I have this restless energy
    That leaves me in total disarray
    I’m not sure what to do with her
    What exactly could I say?

I’m not sure how I know she’s here
    But it’s a feeling that builds up inside
  • Of the Chronic Sort

Look, I understand 
    you’re just trying to relate
    Pain makes you uncomfortable
    It’s a very human trait

I am not in favor
    Of the pain my body makes
    And I will not be offended
    If there’s not a part of you that aches