Neighbors Part 1

Neighbors. Someone whom we share our air with. People whose eyes glance over the same surroundings as thee. Someone for whom you see from afar. When we meet face to face, a friendly nod or wave, short gossip and kind-hearted check ins. But how well do we really know our neighbors? 

Are they as nice as they act? Or behind closed doors, do their true colors shine? Maybe you live next door to an axe murderer! Or a serial killer! Hey it’s good to look at all options;)

But seriously, think about it. Make a list of things you know about each of your neighbors. It probably won’t be very long. And if it is, I’m guessing it contains a lot of useless information. Well there are some people who are really close with their neighbors. If that is you, kudos. But even you don’t know your neighbors inside and out.

Imagine being a six year old kid. Moving into a new town for the start of first grade. Getting to know your new neighbors is the least of your worries. For six years you drive/walk by the same house. You know the people who live there. You know inside the house sits a family of four. With two little kids, a wife, a husband and a chocolate lab. When on walks you exchange kind words and move on. Suddenly on the six year everything changes…..

*********
More of this nofiction story coming soon!

Whitney

More by Whitney

• Awaiting An Invitation

Tree limbs dance in
    the breeze of baited breath,
    roots threaten to break ground zero.
    time;
    too much
    too little
    only the trees understand 
    me

glass stregthens
    mirrors melt
    clouds converge and darkness reigns
  • By Whitney

Sentenced

I am guilty

The bars which restrain me
    are but my own fault

I am guilty

The lifeless walls
    frozen, unfeeling
    yield no give as I fight to break free

My crimes:
    To want,
    the stars 
  • By Whitney

Only A Memory

The wind
    brushes my cheek, with a kiss. 
    Neck craned, my eyes
    skim the sky in bliss

The scene before me,
    a canvas to interpret,
    I stare, deep within the soul of each star
    this game I refuse to forfeit.